Kefir
  Re: (...)
I was recently introduced to Kefir by my daughter's friend. Anyone here familiar with it?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Kefir by farnfam (I was recently intro...)
Kefir lime? LOL....not a clue!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Kefir by Bizymomma (Kefir lime? LOL.......)
It's like a organism. Mostly they grow it in milk, sort of like yogurt but not exactly. I've been growing it in sugar water. Just wondering how well known it is
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Kefir by farnfam (It's like a organism...)
Umm, nope. Haven't a clue. You'll have to update us(me) on that one!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Kefir by Bizymomma (Umm, nope. Haven't ...)
Ok I have to share how I read this post.

I was introduced to Kefir…anyone familiar with it?

Kefir lime?...not a clue.

It’s like an orgasm. It’s done in milk (at this point I’m like um..ok don’t see how the milk will help but I’ll be open minded..)

Nope, you’ll need to update me on that one! (I was cringing thinking this is NOT the time to upload a picture from photobucket.)

I had to go back and read it again because I knew I had to of read that WAY too fast to come up with the above scenario.
  Re: Re: Kefir by DFen911 (Ok I have to share h...)
I read it that way the first time too and thought "What the he!!? I sounded like fun though

OK, now I've heard of it. It does like yoghurt when the flora and fauna in your bowels have been killed. It helps them to grow again. Looks disgusting though...so does yoghurt so I guess it's ok.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Kefir by bjcotton (I read it that way t...)
Oh dear, me too. I read things sometimes and it can be quite hilarious.... This appalling little dwelling, set on 2 acres .... This appealing little... i know nuffin' about kefir.
  Re: Kefir by farnfam (I was recently intro...)
All I know about kefir is it used to be made from camel's milk and is a little like a yogurt...but have never worked with it.

What do/will you use it for/in, Cis?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kefir by cjs (All I know about kef...)
I've had orgasmic food before but that doesn't sound real appealing...although I love yogurt.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Kefir by cjs (All I know about kef...)
You're right cj, about the camel's milk. But unlike yogurt it doesn't really thicken the milk much. Not being a milk fan, I searched the net and found you can make it work in herbal teas etc. It makes whatever it's grown in get a bit fizzy, like soda (but less).
Here's what we've been doing with it (organic and health food fans get ready to cringe). Half fill a quart jar with water and add @1/3C sugar plus the little kefir kernels. Cover,shake,and let set overnight at room temp. For flavor we've been taking the limes from our evening cocktails and throwing them in the jar too. Next day fizzy, sweet/tart lime water. Add to Kool-Aid or whatever for a Pro-Biotic? drink. Added it to cocktails once, it tasted good but I think that negates the health effect
By the way Jan, with enuff Vodka any food can wind up being orgasmic, right?
Cis
Empress for Life