Jalapeno Poppers
  Re: (...)
I'm not sure if I spelled it right, because I have never had them before this weekend. After being assured they were not too hot, I tried one, then another, and another........you get the picture. When I asked for the recipe, I was told to split a pepper in half and scrape out the seeds, then fill with a mixture of cream cheese and sharp cheddar, then roll the whole thing in Pillsbury crescent roll pastry and bake. Voilla.
Does anyone have a proper recipe for these????
  Re: Jalapeno Poppers by swissmiss (I'm not sure if I sp...)
That one sounds pretty good to me. What kind of peppers?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by farnfam (That one sounds pret...)
They said the small green jalapeno ones.
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by swissmiss (They said the small ...)
And you say, they weren't too hot. Small jalapeƱos, like the size of a thumb?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by farnfam (And you say, they we...)
Now, I've never heard of them being wrapped in cresent rolls....hmm. We always clean the peppers (cut in half, seeds and membranes removed) stuff with the cheese and then chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This keeps the cheese from totally melting out from the coating. The coating we always use was breading. Dip the stuffed pepper in beaten egg, then flour, then egg, then panko.
I've never seen them fixed the way you describe (with cr. rolls). All the restuarants around here serve them with the breading.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by Bizymomma (Now, I've never hear...)
Here....this is a good recipe! Gotta love the ending too! LOL

Baked Jalapeno Poppers Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Show: Emeril Live
Episode: Baked, Not Fried

12 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, stems, seeds and membranes removed
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or less, to taste
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
8 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
1 cup panko crumbs, or fine dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, cumin, and cayenne.

In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and 2 teaspoons of the Essence. In a shallow dish, combine the panko crumbs and remaining 4 teaspoons of Essence. In a third dish, combine the flour and remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. Spread 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture into the middle of each jalapeno half. One at a time, dredge in the flour, dip into the egg mixture, then dredge in the panko crumbs, pressing to coat. If necessary, repeat the process. Place the coated peppers, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the filling is runny and the crust is golden, about 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately with cold beer.

Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by Bizymomma (Here....this is a go...)
But I like mine fried better. I'm loving that crunchy first bite, then an ooze of yummy melted cheese!! mmmmm
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by Bizymomma (But I like mine frie...)
We grill ours with no coating.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by cjs (We grill ours with n...)
OOOh, yummy! That's a great idea! And much healthier!
Thanks Jean!
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Poppers by Bizymomma (OOOh, yummy! That's...)
Maybe the Pillsbury dough, is a Canadian thing. I have never seen them on a menu here before.