Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret.
  Re: (...)
I have always doctored up tomato sauces instead of making my own. *hanging head in shame*. I did this because I'm not wild about hunks of tomatos in my sauces and cannot tolerate tomato seeds.

I used a 'recipe' that someone posted here about cutting tomatos in 1/2, taking out the seeds, covering with chopped garlic, sprinkling with evoo, tossing it all and baking at 200 for 3-4 hrs. It is magnificent!

I was dipping bread in it all evening while I stirred them.

I had so many tomatos, at one time from the garden, that I put them in the vitamix to crush tomatos, seeds and skins and all. This morning I took that 1/2 gallon of juice out. Then I caramelized onions, added chopped garlic and then the juice and cooked it down to a forth of the original.

Then I mixed in my tomatos from last night and am still cooking it to reduce more since there was alot of juice from the pan last night.

I swear, I'll never use sauce or canned tomatos again!!!

Thank you all for kicking my azz to get it in gear and getting me excited about cooking again.

Today, I've made that, pea soup and Marlene's Whacky Cake. I made the cake 2 nights ago and fell asleep with it in the oven...it was a brick! Today it is perfect, as long as it's supposed to be kinda like a chewy brownie. No matter what it tastes great!.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by Half_Baked (I have always doctor...)
I'll give you a review of the Split Pea Soup with Ham on pg 34, but I'm making mine w/smoked turkey neck.
Jan

"I swear, I'll never use sauce or canned tomatos again!!!"

Oh Jan, be careful of saying 'never'!! In the winter when tomatoes are so awful, buying canned whole tomatoes should work for you - they can be seeded.

Granted they won't taste as good as summer one roasted in the oven, but you do what ya gotta do in the winter...no?

P.S. I've been eyeing the Split Pea soup for a while now, I've never added sherry to mine, so I'll probably try it soon. Will be anxious to hear how you like it.

I'm going to make the Poblano-Corn Chowder, pg. 59 tonite! with the Crab Toasts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by cjs ("I swear, I'll never...)
"Never say never". You are so right, Jean. I'm just so caught up in the wonderful smell of roasted garlic, tomato and evoo that I'm making promises to myself.
Jan

Re: Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by Half_Baked ("Never say never". Y...)
The shame of it Jan! Shame, shame, shame! To find that my friend has been using BOTTLED tomato sauce, oh shame, shame, shame.....I still do
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by bjcotton (The shame of it Jan!...)
LOL, Billy. The smell is so good in my house that I can't imagine opening a can again but Jean's right...you do what ya gotta do.
Jan

Re: Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by Half_Baked (LOL, Billy. The sme...)
That's one thing [tomato sauce] I haven't yet developed a taste for. I don't dislike it or anything, I just am not thrilled enough yet to make a bunch of it. I have made it, but was not impressed with my efforts
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Good for you, Jan! I like to roast some root veggies ( and some garlic)and add them to the roasted tomato sauce. Great over polenta, or heavy pasta on a cold day.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pssst, com'ere. I have a secret. by Lorraine (Good for you, Jan! ...)
We made some roasted tomato basil soup using just grocery market Romas roasted until they caramelized a little and mixed with good canned tomatoes. Even they were good--concentrated the sugars.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Our new maintenance guy is keeping me in tomatoes from his garden. Yesterday we had huevos rancheros with sauce made from the fresh tomatoes. We had fried green tomatoes last week - and he just left some huge green beefsteaks - I'm frying up a bunch for tonight, and tomorrow night, and the night after that.

I had hoped to can tomatoes this year - but no real kitchen and no place to store a few cases. Crud!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!