buttermilk?
  Re: (...)
I have a queston about buttermilk. There are a couple of recipes in C@H that I want to try, but they call for buttermilk. We don't use it because we all hate it. If the recipe calls for buttermilk, can I use regular milk? I read once that you could put vinegar in milk to "make" it. Does that work? Thanks in advance for advise. coco
  Re: buttermilk? by coco hernandez (I have a queston abo...)
Coco, I buy the 'instant' cultured buttermilk from the market. It's a can/tub that by the baking area. I believe it is SaCo brand.

For 1 c of buttermilk, you add 4T of the powder to the dry ingredients of the recipe then add 1 c of water to the liquid. I've found it works great.

Yes, I have used the T of vinegar to milk before and it is adequate.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by Half_Baked (Coco, I buy the 'ins...)
What Jan said - I also use sa-co brand cultured Buttermilk blend - I prefer it over the old vinegar/milk trick. And any grocery store baking section should carry it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by cjs (What Jan said [img]/...)
Just my two cents, and probbly worthless lol, but I hate buttermilk (all milk really) and often sub a dilute amount of yougurt for what ever recipe asks for. You get that "tart" flavor but it's quite mild.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by farnfam (Just my two cents, a...)
We are not great fans of buttermilk either HOWEVER it is great in some recipes. I use it as a marinade for my fried chicken recipe---this is a recent discovery and has made a wonderful change in the texture of the skin/batter--just seems crispier and more flavorful. I also use for buttermilk biscuits--what else? Buttermilk is really inexpensive here soooo I have no problem with buying a pint---and it lasts for a very long time. We don't have the product you others have mentioned--sounds as though that could be a good product to have on the shelf!!

I forgot---pancakes are great too!!! with blueberries!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by Roxanne 21 (We are not great fan...)
I wish we could buy pints of milk products here. I just hate waste and when I have to buy a qt or half gallon of whole milk it annoys me. I keep 2% in the frig but Mr HB will buy a 1/2 gallon of 'real' milk to have a single solitary bowl of cereal. Argggggh!
Jan

Re: Re: buttermilk? by Half_Baked (I wish we could buy ...)
Can't say as I blame him Jan, that 2% is yukky! I buy whatever size they have at the store, usually 1 Qt and what I don't use in whatever, I drink...good stuff. I also keep the dry stuff on hand for emergencies since I don't like the lemon/vinegar and milk. Nothing quite replaces the tang of real buttermilk.

Of course we had our own cow until just before I graduated from High School.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by bjcotton (Can't say as I blame...)
My very Southern parents loved buttermilk. My dad would fill a big glass with crumbled cornbread then fill it with buttermilk for dessert. He'd eat it like a Sundae with an iced tea spoon.

*shudder*
Jan

Re: Re: buttermilk? by Half_Baked (My very Southern par...)
Quote:

My very Southern parents loved buttermilk. My dad would fill a big glass with crumbled cornbread then fill it with buttermilk for dessert. He'd eat it like a Sundae with an iced tea spoon.

My Daddy used to do the very same thing. Thanks for the memory.
  Re: Re: buttermilk? by dollop ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I still do on occasion, with lots of pepper.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy