Polenta discovered!!
  Re: (...)
I found a recipe online tonight that sounded very yummy! I've been infatuated with polenta...curiousity has just taken over me. It was a recipe for Savory Polenta. I'm hooked. Here's the recipe:

Savory Polenta

2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for grilling or sauteeing if desired
3/4 c. finely chopped red onion
2 cloves of garlic (I doubled, if not more)
1 quart of chicken stock or broth
1 c. coarse ground cornmeal
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 oz. Parmesan, grated (I used almost 3 1/2 oz) gotta love the cheese!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large, oven-safe saucepan, heat the olive oil over meduim heat. Add the red onion and salt and sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent...appx 4-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.

Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken stock, bring to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once you have added all of the cornmeal, cover the pot and place it in the oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent lumps.

Once the mixture is creamy, remove from the oven and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Once they are incorporated, gradually add the Parmesan.

Serve AS IS, or pour the polenta into a 9 by 13-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely.

Once set, turn the polenta out onto a cutting board and cut into squares/rounds. Brush each side with olive oil and saute in a nonstick pan over medium heat, or grill.

**At 11:30 tonight, I got the munchies and decided to saute a square of the polenta. OMG...I'm totally addicted!! Amazing!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Polenta discovered!! by Bizymomma (I found a recipe onl...)
Good for you!! I love it and this sounds like a wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing your "adventure" with us (and the recipe)!
How wonderful! Welcome to our world of being addicted to Polenta!

Here's a couple idea for you -

* Exported from MasterCook *

STUFFED RED PEPPERS W/CHEESY POLENTA & GREEN CHILES

Recipe By: Southern Living, July '04
Serving Size: 6

3 medium red bell peppers
3/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grd. pepper
1/2 cup whipping cream
7 ounces can whole green chiles, drained & chopped
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Garnish; fresh cilantro sprigs

Cut bell pepper in half (or cut a "lid" off); clean. Place pepper cups in a lightly greased 13X9" b. dish.
Whisk polenta & next 5 ingred. in lg. pan over medium heat; bring to a boil.
Cook, whisking constantly, 5-7 min. or till polenta thickens & is creamy.

Stir in cream and next 4 ingred., blending well.
Spoon mixture into pepper cups.
Bake at 400° for 25-30 min. or till peppers are tender.

--------

BLACK BEAN & GOAT CHEESE POLENTA CASSEROLES
Serving Size: 8

1 16-oz. tube ready-cooked Polenta, sliced into 16 1/2" medallions - or make your own, smooth into a sheet pan ~1/2" thk. and cut into rounds.
1 11-oz. pkg cooked carved chix breast (or leftover shredded chicken)
1 10-oz.can or jar Black bean Dip
1 c crumbled goat cheese
1/2 c fresh or prepared salsa

Preheat oven to 425°.
Spray 8 12-oz. ramekins w/spray.

In each ramekin, layer 1 polenta round, 2 T. of the chicken, 2 T. of the black bean dip, 1 T. of the cheese, a second polenta round, & 2 more T. of the cheese.

Set the ramekins on a sheet pan to prevent spills.
Place on center rack, & cook till bubbly & hot, ~15 min.

Garnish w/Salsa & serve

-------

and lastly, here's one I haven't made yet, I just copied it from the S.F. Chronicle's 20 Year Anniversary site - it's on my list to make really soon!!

Runner-up 2001: Pumpkin Polenta Cake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup medium polenta (cornmeal)
1/3 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS: Adjust rack to lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch angel food tube pan. For best results, have all ingredients at room temperature.

Sift together the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Using an electric mixer, preferably with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add the brown and granulated sugars; beat until light. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce mixer speed to low; add the pumpkin puree and polenta. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture alternately with the milk, ending with the dry ingredients, and stir just until well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.

Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out free of raw batter. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the wire rack; remove the cake pan. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.
Serves 10

PER SERVING (cake only): 525 calories, 7 g protein, 79 g carbohydrate, 21 g fat (12 g saturated), 115 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.

This cake from The Baker columnist Flo Braker gets its unique texture and taste from cornmeal. It's the perfect dessert to serve when pumpkin-time rolls around. Accompany with softly whipped cream, ice cream or a simple puree of frozen raspberries or strawberries, sweetened to taste.

Description:
"S.F. CHRONICLE"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Polenta discovered!! by cjs (How wonderful! Welco...)
Before I knew that polenta was just cornmeal, I was eating it alot. Mr HB loves Julia Child's Scrapple recipe which is cornmeal, chicken stock, some of this and that plus fried sausage. I put it in a bread pan, refrigerate, slice and fry. He likes it with apple butter.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Polenta discovered!! by Half_Baked (Before I knew that p...)
My neighbor in San Diego called it "Cornmeal Mush."

Jan, have you seen a recipe for the old-style scrapple? I'll post one for you.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I discovered polenta a couple of years ago. There's nothing, and I mean nothing like chicken cacciatore (in a smoked mushroom-flavored tomato sauce) over soft, asiago-cheese spiked, polenta. Ahhhhh....

One of my favorite quick meals is a store-bought tube of polenta, sliced 1" thick and sauteed on both sides in olive oil, covered with spaghetti sauce and shreds of smoked mozzarella.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Polenta discovered!! by foodfiend (I discovered polenta...)
Yum foodfiend! I'm going to expand my palette for this very soon! I've been cutting off squares and frying what was left from the other night. I have yet to add anything extra (sauce..etc...but plan to). I loved the idea of the stuffed red peppers. That may be my next try...
  Re: Re: Polenta discovered!! by Bizymomma (Yum foodfiend! I'm ...)
By the way....what's this about "smoked mushroom sauce" ?