Muffin meat loaves
  Re: (...)
Has anyone ever put their meatloaf in muffin pans, for convience, I guess?

They sure would be easy to freeze and easy to pull out for portions. But afraid there would be too much crust.

Also, I cook meatloaves for same reason I bake a turkey - the leftovers for sandwiches.

I'm rambling but was curious - anybody ever do this?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Muffin meat loaves by Half_Baked (Has anyone ever put ...)
I've never done them in the muffin pans, but have in the mini loaf pans. This way it's just enough serving for dinner and a sandwich for lunch the next day.

When you say crust you mean how the meat crusts or are you putting a dough in your pans?

If you don't want all the crust cook them in a bain marie (water bath). This way only the top will get the nice crust.
  Re: Muffin meat loaves by Half_Baked (Has anyone ever put ...)
Yes, I do it for my kids. Works great. Just the right portions. And I tend to cook dinner earlier for them so when making a big meat loaf I seperate out some put in muffin tin and cook for them and cook ours later.

One tip I read on one of my triplet mom's sites is they make meatloaf in a 9x13 or sheet pan. When cooked they cut up in sandwich sized pieces, stack and freeze. Instant sandwiches - just the right size and thickness. Thought it was a good idea. If interested I will see if I can find the specific directions.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by esgunn (Yes, I do it for my...)
Yes, it is the meat crust on the meatloaf if it is cooked in a muffin tin but I guess the fat that comes off would keep the sides and bottom soft.

The bain marie is a great idea.

I've been thinking of getting the mini loaf pans for making cakes for Christmas but never have purchased them. I think that's my best bet since they'd get double useage.

esgunn: YOU HAVE TRIPLETS ????? How old are they? It sounds delightful but exhausting. Bless you and may the Angels always be at your beck and call!
Jan

Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by esgunn (Yes, I do it for my...)
I've done it! Great to bring for lunches in the winter. Onoy two of us in the house eat it, so it's a really easy way to make and freeze. For lunches, at night I put them in those glad containers, add some leftover veggies etc, at lunch, zap a bit, and voila, great lunch!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by Half_Baked (Yes, it is the meat ...)
Yes, Triplets. They are 4 1/2. It is very busy but a lot of fun. They love to bake cookies with me, and cook. I have found that having them help me make dinner and collect vegetables from the garden has made them much more willing to try new and different foods. Not to picky.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by esgunn (Yes, Triplets. The...)
And where is a picture of these cuties?!

Wow I am in total admiration. I have one daughter (soon to be 17) and that was work enough for me hahaha.
  Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by DFen911 (And where is a pictu...)
My boys were just over a year apart and I was afraid I wouldn't make it, some nights.

Holy cow! What a gift from God!
Jan

Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by Lorraine (I've done it! Great...)
Quote:

I've done it! Great to bring for lunches in the winter. Onoy two of us in the house eat it, so it's a really easy way to make and freeze. For lunches, at night I put them in those glad containers, add some leftover veggies etc, at lunch, zap a bit, and voila, great lunch!

Lorraine, this sounds really good.
Jan

Re: Re: Muffin meat loaves by esgunn (Yes, Triplets. The...)
"Yes, Triplets. They are 4 1/2."

Oh My!!! You must have the patience of Job. I can barely handle raising my two cats!!!!

Jan, we all bring our lunches to work every day. It can get boring very quickly, so I'm always trying to think of something different.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.