Artichokes
  Re: (...)
ARTICHOKES

I was at the market a while back and saw these strange looking creatures on the shelf. I decided to take a package home and see what can be done with them. I attempted these MANY years ago and they were a complete disaster but now that I have a wonderful support group, almost anything can be achieved sooooo….here’s what I did.

ISSUE 2 Page 38

Has a GREAT blurb on artichokes, including how to prepare for cooking, how to cook and how to eat. Extremely informative and helpful for those of us who have no clue!!

There is also a recipe for aioli and stuffed artichokes.

Per Jean’s suggestion, I made one with just the aioli and stuffed one with the following recipe. We do not have fresh oysters at this time of year but that is on the menu when I can get them.

Aioli Sauce
Yield: 1 cup
Work time: 10 minutes

Combine in a food processor:
1 egg
1 garlic clove, halved
1 TBS lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt

Slowly drizzle in:
1 cup olive oil

I made half this recipe---whacked everything into one of those mini food processors, buzzed and what a wonderful consistency---very tasty and went beautifully with the artichokes.

Stuffed Artichokes
Serves 4

Work time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

Saute together:

¼ cup mild Italian sausage, crumbled (I made Jean’s recipe—this is an outrageously great sausage recipe---never store bought again for this home!!!)
2 cloves garlic

Combine with:
1 ½ cup fine bread crumbs
6 TBS grated Gruyere cheese
3 TBS parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Stuff 4 steamed artichokes with:
Crumb mixture
Drizzle each with:
1 TBS olive oil
Top each with:
1 TBS aioli sauce

Crumble the sausage. Cook in a sauté pan over medium heat. Press garlic over the cooked sausage. Cook 1 minute then drain fat.

Make sure the sausage crumbles are small---they’ll be easier to distribute in the leaves. The author used purchased crumbs (I did, too). Mix all ingredients.

Pull open the cooked artichokes and fill the center cavity and leaves with crumb mixture. Try to insert mixture into every leaf.

Place them on a foil “boat” on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 TBS olive oil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.

Remove the tray from the oven and turn on the broiler. Spoon 1 TBS of Aioli sauce over the top of each stuffed artichoke.

Broil for 3-5 minutes—just enough to add a few hints of rich, brown color to the aioli. EAT WITH YOUR FINGERS!!!!! Have TONS of napkins!!

NOW---this was an incredible dish—not only was it fun to make it was fun to eat. The stuffed version was VERY filling---I had served with a full meal---FORGET IT!! One artichoke is enough for a full meal---nothing else needed, except maybe something to drink—a nice white wine or ice cold water would be lovely.

I am no longer intimated by these babies and they are ooooo soooooo good. The cooking technique produced extremely tender leaves and then once we got down to that heart—you would think you died and went to heaven. A definite repeat—in other words!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Artichokes by Roxanne 21 (ARTICHOKES[br][br]I ...)
Thank you for the recipe.

Roxanne, I was wondering...do you have all of the issues of C@H?

Did you buy the complete set? I have been thinking about doing this...but I guess I need a little push. Maybe you could shed some light on this question if you made this purchase.

I would appreciate input from all of Y'all!
Oh you're soooo right Roxanne, artchokes ARE heaven!! My grandma used to make a meatless version. She'd trim them,spread them apart a little, stuff with a garlic, oil and Italian spiced breadcrumb mixture poked down under each leaf and heaped on top. Then she'd drizzle with OO and steam in salted water. It was a treat with Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner. Between them and stuffed mushrooms, my kids don't think it's a holiday if they're not on the menu. Yum, they should be appearing in the grocery store any time now. Thanks for reminding me
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Artichokes by dollop ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Artichokes and asperagus are my favorite vegetables. This sounds like a great recipe!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Artichokes by dollop ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Uh Huh!!! YEP!!! I received my initial copy of C@H as a promotion through the mail--at my Mom's address--it was the one with the pecan crusted chicken on the cover. Anyway, after reading through the magazine and making a few recipe--I WAS HOOKED. I ordered all of the back issues in the bound sets and have subscribed ever since. I have not regretted that decision--and now I purchase all of the little add ons as well. The issues are informative with many tips for any cook--

And look who my friends and family have become!!! Can't beat that!!

You will not be sorry--Back issues do not come in single purchase capability, unfortunately so you will have to go for the full volume---and order some of those binders for your future issues that come separately.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
"I am no longer intimated by these babies and they are ooooo soooooo good."

We're so proud of you, I have goosebumps!! You'll never be intimadated by any food ever again!!! Between all of us - especially with Denise in Culinary school - there's nothing we haven't, or will, take(n) on!!!! We be cooks!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Artichokes by cjs ("I am no longer inti...)
"We be cooks!!!".........OH I love that! Is there a Tshirt??ROFL
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Artichokes by Roxanne 21 (Uh Huh!!! YEP!!! ...)
Thank you for the input!