Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs
  Re: (...)
I have several problems that I need help with. This recipe is good but I thought the sauce would thicken up some since I took the skin off and it wasn't thinned by fat, and it was cooked uncovered. If everything else hadn't been ready, I would have used some Signature secrets and cooked the sauce on the stove.

...and, we were tired of rice so I made Thai noodles. I also cooked some broccoli and chopped it up in the cuisinart to mix with the noodles. I put butter in this concoction and the butter really was not good with the sauce that seeped all over the plate. Should I have just left out the butter? I wanted the noodles and broccoli mixed and it was a little dry, hence the butter.

Here's the recipe:

Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs

1ΒΌ hours 10 min prep

4 chicken thighs, skin on
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup minced green onions
4 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
4 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoons minced garlic or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place chicken skin side down in a large baking dish.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and then pour on top of the chicken.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Turn the chicken over in the dish and bake for another 15 minutes.

Any suggestions for the future? I will make this again.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by Half_Baked (I have several probl...)
hmmm, well that's a Tablespoon and a half of oil (for 4 thighs)plus the butter you added to the broccoli - lot of fat going on there.

Isn't the advantage of Sign. Secrets that you can add it at the very last minute and not have to cook out like you do flour?? I'd try it next time - only take a second while the thighs are resting.

Good sounding flavors goin' on in this dish - have copied
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by cjs (hmmm, well that's a ...)
I did cut the recipe in 1/2.

This is the original:

8 chicken thighs, skin on
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup minced green onions
3 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Jan

Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by Half_Baked (I did cut the recipe...)
Oh Jan, these sound so good. Thai noodle aren't really absorbant (of fats) so that might have been part of the problem. I'm going to try these as soon as I can!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by Half_Baked (I did cut the recipe...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
As I was eating the leftovers for breakfast, I thought sesame seeds would be good on the thighs. They would just add that extra 'something'.

This morning the sauce didn't seem nearly as thin.

Oh and I used real ginger and garlic instead of powdered.
Jan

Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by Half_Baked (As I was eating the ...)
Well the only thing I would have done would have been to add the butter at the very end after removing the pan juices and putting it into a saute' pan. The buter should be cold and mounted just before serving. Now if the pan drippings are really runny I'd either make a roux of butter and flour or soften some butter up and mix in equal parts butter and flour, rechill and again mount at the very end and let the flour cook out.

The dish itself sounds wonderful! I love the ideas of using the noodles
  Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by DFen911 (Well the only thing ...)
"If everything else hadn't been ready, I would have used some Signature secrets and cooked the sauce on the stove."

I suggested thickening with the Signature Secrets because you had everything else ready and didn't want to hold it all up.

But...if you have room (just a little corner)in your freezer, I would suggest using Denise's idea. I keep a little baggie of beurre manie (a 'paste' of equal parts of softened butter and flour kneaded together)at all times for thickening up sauces that won't cooperate.

Mounting with butter will give you a sauce with a nice mouth-feel, and glossy appearance, but will not go far thickening.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasted Korean Chicken Thighs by cjs ("If everything else ...)
"I keep a little baggie of (a 'paste' of equal parts of softened butter and flour kneaded together)at all times for thickening up sauces that won't cooperate."

I've never frozen beurre manie but it sure would be handy to have in the freezer. Thanks for another great idea.
Jan