Moose meatloaf
  Re: (...)
Got some ground moose meat from a hunting neighbor. I'm planning on making a meatloaf, mixed with ground turkey for tonite. Mostly treating the moose like beef, but I was wondering if you all might have some ideas for seasoning the moose meatloaf in a different way.
Any thoughts?
ps Snow coming this weekend
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Moose meatloaf by farnfam (Got some ground moos...)
My mother cooked some Moose one year and she did it very much like venison - if it looks very lean you might want to add a little fat, otherwise, I'd do whatever meat loaf recipe you like. My, that sounds good - it's been so many years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Moose meatloaf by farnfam (Got some ground moos...)
MOOSE??!!!?? Now that's different!!!

SORRY--- no clue for any suggestions--just the similar to venison bit---yeah, more fat for sure!!!

Please share the final result---curious.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by Roxanne 21 (MOOSE??!!!?? Now th...)
wow, moose. I've heard of moose nose jelly though.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by Half_Baked (wow, moose. I've he...)
Here is the moose meatloaf I made tonite.
I looked at a lot of recipes on line, but most were for basic meat loaf with moose used instead of beef. One recipe, however, suggested seasoning the moose with nutmeg. So here's what I did
I took 2 hamburger buns and softened them in 1/2 Cup of vanilla yogurt and 1 egg add to:
seasoned meat -1lb ground moose 1lb ground turkey- with salt, pepper, Italian parsley, oregeano and 1heaping tsp nutmeg. Mix with hands, make a loaf bake at 400 (it's a wood stove so your guess is a good as mine) for @1hr.
It was yummy, different but tasty. If you ever get a moose you should try it
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by farnfam (Here is the moose me...)
WOW....vanilla yogurt? That one threw me for a loop! LOL I've never heard of that!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by Bizymomma (WOW....vanilla yogur...)
Moose threw me for a loop. I saw (seal) flipper pie being made on tv though. Apparently it has a Very Definite flavour. And I think you could include me out. I wish nobody had told me prawns, cray etc, were sea insects.
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by vannin (Moose threw me for a...)
...and lobsters are related to roaches. Blech! But I manage to force them down.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by Bizymomma (WOW....vanilla yogur...)
"WOW....vanilla yogurt? That one threw me for a loop! LOL I've never heard of that!! "

Me neither Ang, but it just seemed the right thing with nutmeg, inspiration or delirium? It really did taste good and not sweet like you might think. I didn't want the mooseloaf to be disguised beef. Hopefully this meal properly honored the majestic moose.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Moose meatloaf by Half_Baked (...and lobsters are ...)
Quote:

...and lobsters are related to roaches. Blech! But I manage to force them down.

Know how you feel. All those legs are a dead giveaway. I have bought prawns with head and shell, but I don't any more. I am such a woose. I have a friend who sucks the heads, it just makes my brain turn over in my head.