Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce
  Re: (...)
Flipping through Issue 58 (August 06) and came across this recipe. Thought I'd give it a try.
I followed the recipe as typed...and cooked the Baby Carrots with sweet mint "gremolata" along with.

The sauce was pretty and as soon as I got it fixed, I had to take a little sample. Now, please don't let me ruin you from trying this....LOL, but the sauce by itself, to me, tasted like vomit. And I'm not kidding. It just had this savory/kind of sweet/sour taste... BUT, I had to give it the benefit of the doubt. Afterall, I didn't fix the sauce to eat by itself. So, before I served the family, I cut off some of a pork chop and dipped it in the concoction. It tasted much better with the pork.

Over all, it was okay. I give it a 5. Everyone ate all of their dinner, so it wasn't horrible. But, I probably won't fix it again.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by Bizymomma (Flipping through Iss...)
What is Zinfandel? I love blackberrys
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by vannin (What is Zinfandel? I...)
Wine....a sweeter wine. Usually a blush or burgandy color.
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by Bizymomma (Wine....a sweeter wi...)
Well, I made this recipe, too...and we didn't care for it at all. Not exactly the reaction you had, but DH didn't care for the odd flavor combination either.

I think my objection is that I prefer a clean spice and heat pairing with pork. It just wasn't "my thing." Does that make sense?

Nope...I won't repeat that one either.
  Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by Bizymomma (Flipping through Iss...)
I usually don't post a negative comment on the recipes we don't care for--but as long as someone else started this--NAH, NAH, NAH---NOT good at all---I would give it a 1--on a good day. And I even brined the chops, Jean--you would be proud!! Sorry to those that may enjoy this dish--but!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I'm curious Angela, did you use what is called "White Zinfandel" or the real (red) Ziinfandel?? I've had that one marked for quite a while to try...hmmm, the way I love wine-based sauces I may try this anyway just to see what can be done with it. (have I ever mentioned how I love a challenge? )

Hey Roxanne, the next Brining Queen in our midst...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by cjs (I'm curious Angela, ...)
Jean, I used a white zinfandel from a local winery.

Roxanne, I did have a moment of hesitation about the negative post , but I decided that since we've become friends and share ideas, and we do critique meals now on a regular basis, that I might as well share my thoughts on the recipe. I will always post a critique on a recipe that I fix, not to sway someone one way or the other, but in hopes that if somebody fixed it a different way (alternate ingredients...etc) that made a change for the better, I might give it another shot.
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by Bizymomma (Jean, I used a white...)
I think honest opinions are requisite for interactions---while cooking is a very personal endeavor, input from other sources will optimize someone else's attempt and/or success. Curious to hear other opinions on this---nothing wrong with being negative as long as it is constructive and NOT personal---IMHO.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by Roxanne 21 (I think honest opini...)
I'd rather hear/read the pros and cons on any recipe tried too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Chops with Blackberry-Zinfandel Sauce by cjs (I'd rather hear/read...)
Maybe it was just the way that I wrote it. I certainly would never want to offend someone. And like I wrote in the post, I did give the sauce the benefit of the doubt by tasting it with the pork. It did make a difference. I didn't like the sauce by itself...AT ALL. That's all I was trying to say. LOL. Guess my southern-red neck charm comes across as just that sometimes...or, er..the lack of that is.