Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far!
  Re: (...)
Here's the recipe that we all love so - the review (right now) is right below here - June something critique!)

Chicken Parmesan Roulades
(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 21)

Makes: 8 Roulades Total Time: About 11/2 hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Roulades—
Prepare and Roll with:
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into eight 2"-long pieces

Combine; Dredge and Brown in:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 T. minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup olive oil

For the Sauce—
Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil; Add:
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
3 cups cherry tomatoes, pulsed in a food processor
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt to taste

Serve with:
1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded

Preheat oven to 400°; coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set a cooling rack on top. Put the baking sheet in the oven.

Prepare chicken by first trimming off and discarding 1" of the tail end of the breast—it's too narrow to pound out. With the knife blade parallel to the cutting board, horizontally slice each breast in half lengthwise. Pound the meat between plastic wrap to an even thickness of about 1/8". Try not to create any holes or tears. Arrange the filling in the center of the chicken, leaving a 1" margin of meat around it. Wrap the bottom edge over the filling. Make sure the cheese is covered, then fold in the two sides to close. Roll to the end of the cutlet—the meat will stick to itself and seal the roll naturally. Place roulade seam-side down on a plate and season.

Combine panko and parsley. Dredge roulades in flour, then dip into the egg and coat with crumbs. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high; add roulades and brown on all sides, 4–5 minutes. Remove roulades from the pan, transfer to the baking sheet in the oven, and roast 10 minutes. Pour off all but 2 T. oil in the pan and return the skillet to medium-high heat.

Saute onion and pepper flakes for the sauce until onions are soft, 2–3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, 8–10 minutes; season with basil and salt.

Serve roulades with sauce on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by cjs (Here's the recipe th...)
Jean,
It seems that the peak tomato season has already come and gone for this part of the country. All the tomatos at the store are that pale pinkish-orangish color and taste like cardboard.
Is the sauce flavorful enough that I could risk using the cherry tomatoes or should I use canned...or both?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by cjs (Here's the recipe th...)
Oh, that sounds so good. I won't be able to make it until the weekend or next week.

Thanks Jean!

Did y'all serve it over pasta?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
This is my favorite to date.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by Half_Baked (Oh, that sounds so g...)
NO - you serve it over the ceasar salad. It is soo good. We love it. Although it would be good over pasta, but you IMHO you would need to add some garlic and maybe a little more salt - to make up the flavors missing in the salad - and of course more parm cheese!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by Half_Baked (Oh, that sounds so g...)
Oh Jan, I'm sorry! I didn't notice the restof the dinner wasn't there!!

Caesar Salad
(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 21)

Makes: 10 Cups Total Time: 15 Minutes Rating: Easy

Mash Together:
1 1/2 t. garlic, minced
1/4 t. kosher salt

Whisk in:
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. light mayonnaise
1 t. anchovy paste
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. black pepper
1 T. olive oil

Toss with:
10 cups romaine lettuce, chopped

Mash garlic and salt together with the flat side of a knife blade until it forms a paste.

Whisk remaining ingredients together with the garlic paste until combined. Toss the romaine with the dressing just before serving.

----

To serve, place rouldade on top of Caesar salad, spoon tomato sauce on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan.

----
This caesar dressing has also become one of my favorites - Lorraine's also!!

That's the entire dinner!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by cjs (Oh Jan, I'm sorry! I...)
Ooo, I'm really anxious to try the dinner. It sounds right up my alley, like all of them. I'll have to do this really soon too...yikes.

Thank you!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by Half_Baked (Ooo, I'm really anxi...)
I've been thinking and thinking, how did I miss the June dinner. How come the chicken roulades are a blank to me. Could it be CRS. Duh, then I remembered, I was in Ohio with me younguns. So, I hope to somehow fit this in. I simply MUST try it now!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by farnfam (I've been thinking a...)
THe pork roulades are really good too! The chicken parmesean my favorite - but pork a good second. There was a Italian chicken back about 6 months (from the roulades issue) that was very similar and very good.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Parmesan Roulades - The Winner So Far! by esgunn (THe pork roulades ar...)
I always thought AI made a great Caesar Salad dressing, but this one is now our favourite. Bizzy, in the winter when our tomatoes are kind of tasteless, I'll make it using canned ones.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.