Beef Carbonnade
  Re: (...)
For my northern friends who I envy for your cold weather. This is thick and rich--modified from a Cooks recipe and one of the best dishes I ever made.
2 1/2- 3 lb chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tbls corn oil
2 Lbs or more yellow onions,halved & sliced 1/4 in. thick
2 Tbls tomato paste
2 tspns minced garlic
3 Tbls AP flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
12 oz Chimay or other Belgian ale
1 Tbls chopped fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 Tbls cider vinegar

Pre heat oven to 300. Salt and pepper beef to taste. Put 2 Tbls oil in heavy large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown 1/3 of the beef at a time on all sides. DO NOT CROWD. Move to a bowl after each batch. Before fond gets too brown, deglace with some stock and put in bowl with the meat, add oil to Dutch oven and continue until all meat is browned.

Add a little more oil to dutch oven and reduce heat to med-low. Add onions, 1/2 tsp salt, and tomato paste; cook stirring and scraping for about 5 minutes until onions are sweated. Increase heat to med and cook stirring occasionly until browned--about 12-14 min. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.Add flour and stir about 2 min. Sir in remaining broths scraping up fond--stir in ale, thyme , bay leaves,vinegar, browned beef with juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to med high and bring to full simmer. Cover partially and put pot in the oven. Cook until tender--about 2 hours. Discard bay and adjust seasonings. Serve over buttered egg noodles. Very Flemish and grand fare.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Beef Carbonnade by Old Bay (For my northern frie...)
That sounds really good Bill. Nice flavors.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by bjcotton (That sounds really g...)
Thanks for sharing that, Old Bay! ("Pasted" for cooler temps in sultry VA!)
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by dollop (Thanks for sharing t...)
Mr HB will love this. Thank you Old Bay!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by Half_Baked (Mr HB will love this...)
"Very Flemish and grand fare." - m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beef Carbonnade by Old Bay (For my northern frie...)
Thanks, Bill. It's already cooling off here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by Lorraine (Thanks, Bill. It's ...)
Here too Lorraine...low 40's in the AM and in the 80's in the afternoons. My Meyer lemon has over 400 blossoms and baby lemons now and my Persian [Bearss] lime has about 70.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by bjcotton (Here too Lorraine......)
"My Meyer lemon has over 400 blossoms and baby lemons now"

Still twisting that little ol' knife, eh Billy?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by bjcotton (Here too Lorraine......)
Quote:

Here too Lorraine...low 40's in the AM and in the 80's in the afternoons. My Meyer lemon has over 400 blossoms and baby lemons now and my Persian [Bearss] lime has about 70.

I bet they are just beautiful! I love nature and botony in particular. There is so much to learn and share!
  Re: Re: Beef Carbonnade by dollop ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I talked with the company I bought them from and they wanted pictures. They have really perked up since I used the citrus fertilizer I got from the company. One pound was $8 and shipping was $7, or the other way around, but it sure seems worth it. It is a 24-14-14 type fertilizer.

Bill, I plan on making this sometime this coming week. It sounds so good.

Billy