Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D
  Re: (...)
Miss Jan bought her a Meyer lemon this year. It has a couple of nice lemons on it. I bought mine earlier, but it dropped all the babies I had on it. Today I want out and counted the blossoms and babies on it...there were 328. Jan doesn't have one blossom hee hee
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by bjcotton (Miss Jan bought her ...)
Our Meyer is covered with lemons, buds and blossoms!!! I love the way it continues with all those stages at one time. So far, so good having it up here - the orange and lime are still doing good also. The only problem we had was you can't find citrus fertilizer up here - 'cause citrus doesn't grow so Kelly is sending us some.

I'm down to the last of my zest in the freezer from year before last's crop - last year was a real small one.

Poor Jan, Billy - you S.D.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by cjs (Our Meyer is covered...)
Folks, see what I have to deal with !!! Mr Cotton sent me an email to taunt me and I forwarded it to Mr HB to show him how my "friends" support me. <baer>

Well, I tell you what...although this year my tree only has 2 little hard green lemons on it, next year I'll probably have a stand in front of my house with a sign that says, "Free Meyer Lemons" because we'll be so over run with them. Tongue
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by Half_Baked (Folks, see what I ha...)
Ok I have to ask about these lemons. What is their flavor like? I read they were from Chine and a cross between and true lemon and a mandarin orange.

I had no idea you could freeze zest. I thought it'd turn to mush. Do you do anything special to it to prepare for freezing?
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by DFen911 (Ok I have to ask abo...)
Lol, I'll have to tell you next year, what they taste like!

If I were to freeze zest, I think I'd spread it out on a cookie sheet, freeze and then put it into a baggie.
Jan

Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by Half_Baked (Lol, I'll have to te...)
Lemon trees a-plenty here BUT no Meyer---how different can those be?? Also curious about freezing zest---the citrus here is very prolific--isn't it that way there (in the US)??
I seem to remember lemons, oranges etc available all the time---CRS???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by Roxanne 21 (Lemon trees a-plenty...)
I have three lemon trees here, all Meyers. What an person I am I do not have a Lisbon. They are much more sour. Wonderful for lemon honey and lemon meringue pies.
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by vannin (I have three lemon t...)
I'm thinking about getting a dwarf type lime. To keep us supplied with limes for Margharitas etc. What do you all reccomend? It could only be outside for a very short season. Here in the Great White North we only have winter and two weeks of poor sledding, which are over now teehee I'm sure I shall have to buy a lemon tree as well, to keep it company.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by farnfam (I'm thinking about g...)
I have Mr HB looking for a Kaffir Lime, now, but I think they won't be available until next spring.

CRS = Can't Remember *****
Jan

Re: Re: Driving Miss Half-Baked Jan......crazy :D by Half_Baked (I have Mr HB looking...)
Freezing citrus zest is a piece of cake. I zest ALL the citrus I get [even Key Limes], put it in a small plastic container and stick it in the freezer. When I want some, I just reach in, pinch off however much I want and off I go.

I have to admit I don't know what a Meyer lemon tastes like. I've heard so much about them I had to have one. I buy all my citrus from www.fourwindsgrowers.com and they've never failed me yet. Any failure has been my fault.

I think Jan and my lil sis both planted their trees in smaller pots than I did. I used a 2 cu. ft. pot and I think my lil sis used about a 1 1/2 cu. ft. pot...hers has lemons on it too. I purchased a 1 lb bag of citrus fertilizer [24-14-14] from Four Winds Growers and I must admit it was expensive... $8.00 plus $7.00 shippping. It says to use 2 Tbs per gallon of water every 3 weeks or 1 Tbs per half-gallon every 10 days. I didn't know where else to buy citrus fertilizer...certianly not around here.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy