Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4
  Re: (...)
Hi Everyone, time for our reviews of this wonderful dish!! It was just perfect too. Very satisfying. We served it with an Italian style salad. Resisted the urge to make garlic bread. We used Mahoganey clams, as the price was sooo good. I was a little dubious, but they worked very well in this dish. We had the cayenne chocolate truffles for dessert and a basic NY table wine. It was very cozy comfort type food for us. Scattered a few of the steamed clams on top for a garnish and their dark shells looked pretty. Very Very Yummy, will make again often.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by farnfam (Hi Everyone, time fo...)
Shoot! I've lost my critique twice now - I'm not typing it again today...I'll do it tomorrow (she said with a sigh... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
This was a wonderful dish!!! However, I had to make with mussels---NO CLAMS here--not even the tinned ones!!!! Anyway, the mussels were quite GREAT---and I served a few in their shells as a garnish.

I really liked the crispy garlic garnish---I went on to make a crispy onion as well---NICE!!!! The linguine with the "clam sauce" was very tasty and I will make again BUT I'm wondering if the clam will be better??? Time will tell once I return to the land of the clams!!

I also served with a typical Italian salad---as well as a German sour cream coffee cake for dessert--believe it or not!! And it was great for breakfast the next morning!!!

A good recipe----will look forward to it with the clams though!! I would give it a 9 out of 10!!!

Forgot the wine---a very nice Reisling (local).
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by Roxanne 21 (This was a wonderful...)
When school is over I plan to participate more in these. Right now I don't think you guys want to make a meal of glazed carrots, tomato soup, polenta and pasta dough

It's fun though because then after I read the reviews I add them to my Master Cook under my Try it Out cookbook.

You all make everything sound scrumptious!
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by DFen911 (When school is over ...)
You are SOOOOO wrong---I would love to make all of those dishes---ESPECIALLY the polenta so that it is edible

I have a wonderful recipe for all of the others---tomatoe soup??? YUM!!!! (with grilled cheese sandwiches)---what a wonderful fall lunch/dinner!!!!

I really would love to get into the pasta making someday---is it worth it?? Love your blog!!!! Keep at it, girl---good on ya"!!!!!
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by Roxanne 21 (You are SOOOOO wrong...)
I guess I'm the lone dissenter here on this dish. I saw absolutely no use nor reason for all the oil!! I did like the addition of the 1/2 c of sliced garlic and will definitely add that to Clam Linguine again.

Also, I've never tried to remove "minced" garlic with a slotted spoon - not my slotted spoons anyway! I guess I came away from this one with the feeling it was not one of the better written recipes C@H is known for.

Oh well - now, what's next?? Something from the new issue?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by cjs (I guess I'm the lone...)
Jean---I also cut WAY back on the oil---what a waste of good (and expensive) olive oil. I used the oil I crisped the garlic in--just removed the little bits--no small slotted spoon here so just used a spatula (heat proof).

I automatically cut back on all oils/fats in my recipes--use what seems to be appropriate for us and our taste.
I thought this was pretty good. Like some of you, I used less oil. I halved the recipe and used half mussels and half clams (Clams were $4 lb this weekend, mussels were on sale). I thought I had regular garlic on hand-I didn't, but I had elephant garlic in the fridge. I just used more, and that made it a little more "eater friendly" with the kids. My tomato and basil cup runneth over right now, so I made a fresh tomato and basil salad with just a drizzle od some nice OO. Dessert was an angel food cake, split and filled with lemon curd, served with a dollop of whipped cream.

I'll make this again with all clams and regular garlic to see how the original is supposed to taste.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by pjcooks (I thought this was p...)
"Dessert was an angel food cake, split and filled with lemon curd, served with a dollop of whipped cream. " - oh my, I have been on such a lemon kick lately...

Roxanne, I guess this is what irritates me about a recipe written like this one was. Experienced cooks know they can cut back on oil - and not only for health reasons - it's just a ridiculous amount to even call for! But new cooks aren't that confident and they would go for it. That bothers me. Oh well, that's my soapbox for the day...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Online Dinner Party Review Sept 4 by cjs ("Dessert was an ange...)
You're right Jean. I cut the oil way back too. I always do it, and I guess it was such an automatic thing, I didn't think to mention it in my review. It would be tough for someone a little less experienced to know to do so automatically. Why do you think they call for so much oil in the first place?
BTW for your lemon kick, the new issue has a pasta with lemon and cream recipe
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life