Grand Marnier Souffle
  Re: (...)
Per your request, Cis.

Don't ask me from where I obtained the original recipe--I have made this many times over the years and have tweeked it in any way imaginable--this is my final recipe. If you decide to make it, PLEASE let me know what you think.

Grand Marnier Souffle

6 Tbls unsalted butter (plus additional for buttering ramekins)
1 cup sugar (additional for coating ramekins)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbls all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
7 large egg yolks
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbls Grand Marnier (I suppose you could use any one of your favorite liquers in this)
8 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter eight 1 cup (3 1/2 X 2 inch) ramekins and coat with sugar, knock out excess sugar.

In a 1 1/2 quart heavy saucepan melt 6 Tbls butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk and cook over moderate heat, whisking, until mixture is very thick and pulls away from sides of pan. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool for a short time---about 5 minutes. In a large bowl whisk together yolks, vanilla and pinch of salt. Then whisk in milk mixture and Grand Marnier, whisking until smooth.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer (I use my KA) beat whites until they hold soft peaks. Beat in 1 cup sugar, a little at a time, and beat meringue until it just holds stiff peaks. Whisk about 1/4 meringue into yolk mixture to lighten and with a rubber spatula fold in remaining meringue gently but thoroughly.

Spoon batter into ramekins, filling just to the rim, and arrange ramekins at least 1 1/2 inches apart in a large baking pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins and bake souffles in middle of oven for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. (Note: I put the baking tray in oven before adding water--less chance of spilling water into the ramekins and spoiling these treats and safer for you, eliminating the possibility of water burns--OUCH!!!---experience talking).

CAREFULLY remove pan from oven and transfer ramekins to dessert plates. With 2 forks pull open center of each souffle and pour creme anglaise into opeing. Top with powdered sugar and place a fresh fruit piece or berries on the side with a sprig of mint. VOILA!!! There you have it.

This is not difficult to make--takes less than an hour and the oooh's and aaah's are what you're looking for---and receive!!! Any questions---happy to answer anytime!!

Creme Anglaise

You can always purchase but I make my own. For those of you who wish to give it a try.

1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks
3 Tbls sugar
1 tsp cornstarch

In a 1 1/2 quart heavy saucepan bring half-and-half and heavy cream just to a boil. While cream mixture is heating, in a bowl whisk together yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until slightly thickened and pale, about 2 minutes. Add hot cream mixture in a stream, whisking, and transfer custard to pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until a thermometer registers 180 degrees or about 2 minutes---DO NOT LET BOIL. Transfer to a clean bowl and cool to warm, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill--will keep for a few days (I've used up to 10 days later--still great!!)

This makes a little less than 2 cups

Sorry---cannot give credit to the original source---CAN'T REMEMBER and didn't write it down---this was a handwritten recipe from decades ago--before computers
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by Roxanne 21 (Per your request, Ci...)
Well, don't you know this one is copied!! What a great dessert to offer.

(Billy, if you're still hesitating making a souffle, why not start with this one?? )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by cjs (Well, don't you know...)
I think I need to buy some ramekins!!! Thanks, Roxanne!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by Lorraine (I think I need to bu...)
Thanks so much Roxanne, I can't wait to try it. First I'll have to get Grand Marnier. I can't think of what else to use, I'm not sure what it tastes like, but I'm sure willing to try it
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by farnfam (Thanks so much Roxan...)
Grand Marnier is an orange flavored liquer--Cointreau is close. You could also use a Kirsch (cherry), Banana, Coconut, Cassis, etc. I would not use one of the regular liquors though. Anyone that does not like alcohol flavors--I'm thinking you could use a flavored essence but would cut back on the amount somewhat. Just a thought.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by Roxanne 21 (Grand Marnier is an ...)
OOOh, I see now. Banana sounds kinda good, cherry sounds good too. Does the flavor you choose change the color? Does it have to be a fruit flavor, could you use Khalua?
Thanks again Roxanne,
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by farnfam (OOOh, I see now. Ba...)
Khalua? why not, that sounds so good. By the by I have the best recipe for Khalua if you don't have one, cis.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by cjs (Khalua? why not, tha...)
cj,
I've got one somewhere, but I want yours!!!
thanks in advance too
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by cjs (Khalua? why not, tha...)
Ok Jean, I'll try it. How critical is the oven temp? It's real difficult to get my oven right on.

I've got 5 1 cup ramekins and 4 that are slightly smaller.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Grand Marnier Souffle by bjcotton (Ok Jean, I'll try it...)
That sounds absolutely fabulous. Thank you so much.