freezing and thawing pies.
  Re: (...)
I recently made (for the 5th time!) the wonderful peach pie recipe shown in the August 2003 issue. Now I would like to freeze it, and be able to enjoy it long after fresh peaches are out of season. Does anyone know how to do this so that when I go to eat it in December it won't be a soggy lump, but rather as enjoyalbe as it is after being freshly baked?
  Re: freezing and thawing pies. by Chops52 (I recently made (for...)
I really have no experience with this. I'm thinking along the lines of the frozen pies found in the supermarket. I'm wondering whether you could freeze it and then use the foodsaver to seal it. If frozen, the foodsaver shouldn't squash the dough. Then, I suppose you could bake it per the instructions on frozen pie boxes. Is it already baked?

I've followed this method for making and freezing unbaked individual sized crawfish pies. I do the same thing for meat pies when I make them and when I purchased them unbaked. They are in foodsaver like wrapping. I defrost the meat pies and then fry them. I fried some previously frozen pies over the weekend. These were homemade by a little shop locally and not the store bought type.
Calliope
  Re: freezing and thawing pies. by Chops52 (I recently made (for...)
This is what I found on line - all the advice was about the same...

"Fruit & nut pies, unbaked Make as usual except add 1 extra tablespoon flour or tapioca or 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch to juicy fillings to prevent boiling over when pies are baking. Do not cut vents in top crust. Steam and cool light fruits before making pies. Freeze in pan. Cut vents in upper crust. Put pan on cookie sheet. Bake without thawing at 450°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Then reduce to 375°F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top crust is brown. 3 to 4 months"

around 20 minutes longer baking - do not defrost the crust will get soggy, One said to brush the bottom crust with egg white to prevent soggyness:
They reccomended flash freezing in the pan first then wrapping and freezing. If you put it in a food saver I am sure it would keep longer than 3 months.

You could also make the ingredients and freeze in a sprayed pan - probably line with parchment or saran wrap for easy removal - then make a crust - pop in the frozen filling - and bake - probably longer baking too.

I have been exploring all these techniques for apple pies!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: freezing and thawing pies. by esgunn (This is what I found...)
My son's school sold baked pies as a fund raiser. They were from a company, not home made. BUT, when I opened the package, the apple pie was cooked through and it was frozen. It had a lattice top that looked great and was vacuum sealed. I popped it in the oven at 400 deg. for 25-40. I guess the wide range was for different ovens, but mine took about 30 minutes.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: freezing and thawing pies. by esgunn (This is what I found...)
Erin's method is pretty much what I've usually done. Brushing the bottom shell with egg white really does help.

oops - just saw this in her post - "You could also make the ingredients and freeze in a sprayed pan - probably line with parchment or saran wrap for easy removal - then make a crust - pop in the frozen filling - and bake - probably longer baking too."

I tried that method once and ended up poking holes in the crust trying to work with it while the filling was frozen and it didn't cook correctly for some reason with the crust not frozen. I just wasn't a happy camper with this one.

Good luck, but please don't come back in December bragging about your darn Peach pies...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: freezing and thawing pies. by cjs (Erin's method is pre...)
I haven't tried it yet - thanks for the tip - I will probably skip that method now! I am going to try putting some pie filling in bags, freeze, then thaw the filling before putting in a fresh made crust. I will also try making up a few whole unbaked pies. This is experimentation year!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.