Apples, Apples, Apples
  Re: (...)
Hi all. We have a bumper crop of apples this year. We will be knee deep in apple sauce that we are canning.

What I was wondering is if anyone has had good experience in canning or freezing apple pie/apple pie filling? Any other great ideas for preserving apples?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by esgunn (Hi all. We have a ...)
Way, way back in time I used to make up apple pies and freeze them. I remember I did not thaw before baking them, but I sure can't remember how much more time I had to bake. They were great. worth playing with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Hi Erin, we've had pretty good results with mixing the amount of apples, sugar, and spices from pie recipe in a zip lock and freezing it. If I'm remembering right we put it in pie crust only semi-defrosted to avoid alot of liquid. And maybe added a Tbs of flour too. Even tho' it's just two of us now, we still look forward to that drive out to "Apple Country" in early fall to pick a few different kinds. It's a nice way to enjoy the leaf colors too. My favorite is Macouns(sp?) for just eating out of hand.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
"great ideas for preserving apples"

I've been making chutneys the last few days. So far my favs are Curried Apple Chutney, and Plum Apple Chutney. Let me know if you'd like the recipes.

I used to make Apple Crisp and freeze it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by Lorraine ("great ideas for pre...)
Marilee made some apple sauce, but not enough to can, so I'll remind her of the vacuum sealer I gave her. That ought to do it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by Lorraine ("great ideas for pre...)
Lorraine, I'd love the recipe's for the chutneys! I shared our favorite - but we love them, and are up to our eye balls in apples and plums!

Thanks!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by esgunn (Lorraine, I'd love...)
I posted them in the chutney thread. Hope you like them!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by Lorraine (I posted them in the...)
Thanks Lorraine! I have a ton of plums too! Made 2 batches plum jam yesterday, two batches appple pie filling canned, and 30 ears of corn blanched and frozen! Back at it today!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by esgunn (Thanks Lorraine! I ...)
Don't forget to juice some of the plums and berries for sorbets and granitas. Vacuum package the juice and it'll keep forever...well, almost.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Apples, Apples, Apples by bjcotton (Don't forget to juic...)
Thanks - what a good idea. I hadn't thought of that!

Erin
Erin
The time is flying by.