May Issue Brownies
  Re: (...)
I made the brownies from the May issue and am very confused because they turned out very dry when they were supposed to be fudgy. I consider myself a very good cook and KNOW that used all the best and exact ingredients. What went wrong??? Please help!
  Re: May Issue Brownies by Lartrainer (I made the brownies ...)
WELCOME to you, Lartrainer!! I hope you will enjoy our company and any information we are able to give.

??? to you---which Issue were you referring to. I went back to this year's April/May---no brownie recipe. We will certainly give comments/critiques/advice with respect to your specific recipe in question---no problem.

Hope you join us again,

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME to you, Lart...)
I'm sorry. It was the Ultimate Classic Brownie in June Issue 45 (don't know where my mind was). The recipe is also an Online Extra but it nothing like what is printed in the magazine for some reason. Regardless, I followed exactly what was in the magazine and it didn't turn out. I can't figure out why. Thanks again for responding!
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by Lartrainer (I'm sorry. It was th...)
Were they overbaked maybe? The article says to make sure you don't overbake or the brownies will be dry. It said to check them after 30 minutes and if still gooey to check every 5 minutes. That part wasn't in the recipe and is easy to miss. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

P.S. The online extra brownie recipe is the one from Issue 10 that was a more complicated recipe. The one from Issue 45 was supposed to be easier than the original. Did that make sense?
Tammy
  Re: May Issue Brownies by Lartrainer (I made the brownies ...)
Welcome, Latrainer, I'm a newbie here too!

Even though my oven runs almost perfectly on temp, I was having the same problem, not only the brownies, but other baked goods as well. I thought my oven thermo was off, but I bought another, and had the same results. I just decided to start checking at 5 min before the minimum time. Usually that does the trick.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by TwilightKitten (Were they overbaked ...)
But the recipe from Issue 10 was much better than 45. I made these as well--noted the dryness and added some oil to the next attempt. Positive results with that---also took them out earlier than stated--we like gooey!!! I think I will stick with the original recipe in Issue 10 though--must be happy with all that chocolate used!!

Also-I changed the pan to a glass one. For some strange reason the dark metal ones do overbake. Just a thought.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by Roxanne 21 (But the recipe from ...)
Would you please share the brownie recipe from issue 10? Thank you very much! coco
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by coco hernandez (Would you please sha...)
Basic Chocolate Brownies
Makes: One 9 x 13" Pan Total
Time: 50 Minutes
Rating: Intermediate

Melt; Set Aside:
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, broken up
1 1/2 cups sugar
12 T. unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

Whisk Together:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. table salt

Beat:
4 eggs, room temperature
2 T. instant espresso powder
1 T. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray bottom and sides of a 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment; coat again.

Melt the chocolate, sugar, and butter in a double-boiler over simmering water. Remove bowl; cool to room temperature.

Whisk together the flour, sifted cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside.

Beat the eggs, espresso, and vanilla until foamy in a stand mixer. Add cooled chocolate mixture, scraping down the sides.
Fold half of the flour mixture into the chocolate batter. Add remaining flour; fold in completely. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

Bake in center of oven 22–25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of pan is barely moist.
Remove from oven; cool completely. Run knife around inside edge of pan, place rack on top of pan, and invert. Peel parchment away then invert again onto a cutting surface.

With a sharp knife, trim off edges and cut brownies into 2" squares.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nutrition facts (Per 1/9):
411 calories; 47% calories from fat; 22g total fat; 52g carb; 144mg sodium; 2g fiber
Tammy
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by TwilightKitten (Basic Chocolate Brow...)
Thank you Twilightkitten. Have c&p'd it. Sounds delish! coco
  Re: Re: May Issue Brownies by TwilightKitten (Were they overbaked ...)
AHA!!! I bet that was it! I did let them go to 40 minutes. I will try them again and cook them less time and see how they turn out. Thanks!