How do I sub plain ol' lime juice for key lime?
  Re: (...)
I'm tired of looking for it. Two stores which stocked the Nellie & Joe's brand no longer do, and I've looked at several other stores with no luck. I'm making a key lime pie, so would it be a huge culinary faux pas should I use lime juice for the key lime? Other than the fact that I couldn't actually call it a key lime pie, that is. I think I read somewhere that you can use a mix of "regular" lime juice and lemon juice, but I wouldn't know the proportions. Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: How do I sub plain ol' lime juice for key lime? by foodfiend (I'm tired of looking...)
Foodfiend, I googled to make sure and this is what most said, 1/2 Cup Persian (ordinary) lime juice and 1/2 Cup lemon juice will substitute for Key Lime juice. You might want to taste it and maybe tone down the lemon part if it seems too tart, since you already know what flavor the Key Lime is that your looking for.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: How do I sub plain ol' lime juice for key lime? by farnfam (Foodfiend, I googled...)
THANKS!!! I just happen to have a couple of lemons that I need to find a use for...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: How do I sub plain ol' lime juice for key lime by foodfiend (THANKS!!! [img]/ubb...)
AND you could always order from Baker's Catalog----they have some other nice products as well. You will receive fairly quickly if you're not in too much of a hurry---or for future reference. www.kingarthurflour.com
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: How do I sub plain ol' lime juice for key lime by Roxanne 21 (AND you could alw...)
You can email Nellie & Joe's at info@keylimejuice.com or call them at (800) 546-3743 for prices and shipping info.

If you use Persian lime juice, you might want to cut down on the sugar just a tad, they are sweeter than Key Limes.

Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Pie

1-9" graham cracker pie shell
1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks (whites not used)
1/2 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before refrigerating. Just before serving, top with freshly whipped cream and garnish with lime slices.

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy