Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe
  Re: (...)
We had so much fun thinking of foods this ketchup will go with - it will stand up to any wild fowl/game, waffles/pancakes, and try it on a turkey sandwich! It's a fun recipe.

HUCKLEBERRY KETCHUP

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser Dinner

32 ounces frozen (or fresh) huckleberries or blackberries or if necessary -- blueberries
2 T. shallots -- sliced
2 cups Tawny port
4 T. currant jelly
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups Huckleberry Jam

In a large sauepan, combine all the ingredients except the Huckleberry Jam.
Mix well, bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.

Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
Puree in a food processor until smooth.

At this point for a smooth 'ketchup' push through a sieve or strainer. (chinois is too fine)
Allow to chill overnight.

Add just enough Huckleberry Jam for a 'ketchup' consistency.
(about 2:1 - puree to jam is a good amount)

NOTES : makes approx. 2 1/2 cups
--------
Since Huckleberries are so perishable, it may be difficult to purchase them. Using Blackberries is a good substitute and add Huckleberry Jam to finish off - they add a tartness that is so good. Here is a website that offers Huckleberry Jam.

http://www.oregonjam.com/
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by cjs (We had so much fun t...)
Jean,
Thank you for taking the time to post these recipes! I've got to try the ketchup! My mind is just exploding.. LOL
Glad you had a fun time!
How'd the money situation end up??? Raise a lot?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by Bizymomma (Jean,[br]Thank you f...)
Thanks Jean!!! And I was planning on doing a duck Sunday!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by Bizymomma (Jean,[br]Thank you f...)
The final count is not in yet, but so far looks like we outdid ourselves this year!!!!!

Yes, oh it will be so good with Duck!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by cjs (The final count is n...)
I made it yesterday, to go with the duck. I had to use a mixture of blackberries ( my neighbour's are coming through thte fench ) and blueberries, and I scaled it down a bit. But, yawza!!! It was great! today I'm working with fillo, and made some triangles with the leftover duck and sauce. Thank you, Jean!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by Lorraine (I made it yesterday,...)
wish I was closer....yum,with duck!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Huckleberry Ketchup-'06 Fundraiser Dinner Recipe by cjs (wish I was closer......)
Here you go Lorraine - and you altered it I think, so I'll bring this thread up for you.
www.achefsjourney.com