I probbly should already know this
  Re: (...)
I have a question. How do you all wash and store your brushes. Y'know the ones we use for egg washing a crust or brushing olive oil on to the top of stuff. I sent mine thru the dishwasher and days later it still wasn't dry and had little black dots in it, which I assume were some kind of mold. Ewwwww. I washed it again, used bleach and it's white now, but how do you really care for brushes properly?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: I probbly should already know this by farnfam (I have a question. ...)
This is what I use.
http://www.hugthecook.com/images/bb211-67.jpg
  Re: Re: I probbly should already know this by dollop (This is what I use.[...)
Here you can read about it.
http://www.hugthecook.com/detail.aspx?ID=6744
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. I went through a LOT of pastry brushes! I finally got a couple silicone ones, and I love them. I can put them in the dishwasher, and they actually get clean without getting yucky...if that makes any sense.
Tammy
  Re: Re: I probbly should already know this by TwilightKitten (I'm sorry that I can...)
I use the one dollop showed, for the most part. I have som older ones and I just soap them a good bit before putting them in the dishwasher. Haven't had a problem, but I LOVE the le crueset.
Calliope
This may be sacrilege, but I buy mine at the hardware store - much cheaper - rinse them well, put thru dishwasher and then hang bristle end down for a day and they dry completely. When they get to looking a little ratty, out they go.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I probbly should already know this by dollop (Here you can read ab...)
I have and use both types. I prefer the silicone---soo easy to clean up by hand or throw in the diswasher and ready to use in a jiffy. The brushes do stiffen or loosen up after a time--they have their useful purposes though. The softer bristles do cover the surface more thoroughly--brushes I usually sit in a cup of HOT water with liquid soap, rinse thoroughly and immediately dry with a linen towel and then store as usual. Haven't noticed any problems---YET!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy