Crunchie.
  Re: (...)
Jean set me thinking with her old recipes comment. So here is one from the Edmunds Cook Book, about the mid 50s. It was really called coconut delight, but we called it crunchie.

1 x cup s/r flour
1 x tblsp Cocoa
1 x cup cornflakes
1 x cup coconut, dessicated or shredded
1/2 cup sugar
5 x oz butter
1 x dstsp golden syrup
Vanilla.

Sift dry ingreds, not the cornflakes ;Þ. Melt butter with G/S, and add to dry ingreds. Hiff everything else and mix. Press into swiss roll tin, bake at 350 F for 20-30 mins. Ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle coconut over the icing. Cut in squares while still warm. I haven't made this for decades. But it is good.
  Re: Crunchie. by vannin (Jean set me thinking...)
Sounds yummy!!! I love those old time recipes---simple but great!! AND the calories----who cares!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Crunchie. by vannin (Jean set me thinking...)
Doesn't that sound good! "swiss roll tin," - would that be like what we call a 'jelly roll sheet' or baking sheet? Approx. 15X18-20" with 1" sides?

I'll add one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

BEEROX (BIEROX)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb ground beef
1/2 medium head cabbage, grated
1 med onion, chopped
Your favorite bread dough recipe, or 2 loaves of frozen bread dough, thawed
bacon grease or butter, melted

Saute the ground beef, cabbage and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
Either grease a baking pan with sides or melt enough bacon grease in the pan to dip the tops of the beerox.

Make your bread dough or use the thawed frozen loaves. Cut dough into pieces 2 oz. each.
Flatten in the palm of your hand, or roll out on a board.
Fill center with approximately 2 T. of the meat/cabbage mixture.

Completely enclose the filling with the dough and pinch edges together to seal.
Place the beerox in the baking pan smooth side up, or dip in bacon grease and then place smooth side up in pan.

Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 F. and bake for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.

Description:
"One of the most favorites of the family favorites!! My children ask for these still today - I wish they would start making them!"

NOTES : Serve the beerox with different kinds of mustard, chutneys, or just plain. They are great to take on a picnic, because cold or heated, they are wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crunchie. by cjs (Doesn't that sound g...)
This sounds like a recipe I have for ball park sandwiches. I'll have to dig it out and post it. They are great and good for a take along meal.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.