Figs
  Re: (...)
I fixed the recipe that I've been wanting to try using fresh figs. First of all, I've never seen figs for sale in any store here. So,...I only bought 2 when I was in Dallas because I didn't know if I'd like them or not.
I'd seen a recipe for figs stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in prosciutto then grilled, finished with a drizzle of EVOO salt and pepper. It just sounded unique and I wanted to try. They were tasty...very different. I would try them at a restuarant if I had the opportunity. I would give them a 6 1/2-7 out of 10. It would make a good amuse bouche!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Figs by Bizymomma (I fixed the recipe t...)
Oh Ang, that reminds me of this fig recipe I'm meaning to try. Take a peek if you will

http://www.thegourmetlife.com/the_gourme...forum.html

Now I will head right out to H2Otwn and gets some figs, I've just got to try this one very soon. How's it look to you?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Figs by farnfam ( Oh Ang, that remin...)
What's the recipe posted under???
  Re: Re: Figs by Bizymomma (What's the recipe po...)
Sorry Ang I thought it would take you right to the post, it's the last one under Recipes and Ingredients and it's called Warm Salad with Chevre, mushrooms and figs
If that doesn't work I'll copy and paste the whole thing for you.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Figs by farnfam (Sorry Ang I thought ...)
You mean they come in something other than fig newtons? Who would have thought....
  Re: Re: Figs by farnfam (Sorry Ang I thought ...)
Shame on you, Cis - I got hooked on answering some posts instead of looking for the recipe...doesn't take much to get me off tract...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs by cjs (Shame on you, Cis - ...)
LOL...Denise, that's exactly what I'm saying! LOL
  Re: Re: Figs by Bizymomma (LOL...Denise, that's...)
Well, now you guys should really give this one a look see,
I'm pasting it (hope it's legal to do that) because it looks so good to me specially after the grilled romiane success.
Here it is, from TheGourmetLife.com in the Recipes and Ingredients forum
Warm Salad with Chevre, Figs, and Mushrooms
4 cups washed spinach,
2 cups arugula, washed
6 medium-sized figs
2 tbs plus 2 more tbs olive oil
2 cups assorted diced mushrooms
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
10 onces (300grams) Chevre (goat's cheese) - round tube is best
salt and pepper

Preheat your broiler. Cut figs in half and remove the stems. Lay figs face down on lightly oiled sheet pan and broil them for 4 minutes. Once they cool, cut the figs into quarters.

Combine spinach, arugula, and figs in salad bowl, set aside.

Heat 2 tbs olive oil in frying pan over medium. Add the mushrooms to frying pan and saute until they soften. Reduce the heat to low and add extra olive oil. In seperate glass, mix vinegar with salt and pepper, to taste, before adding vinegar to the frying pan. Stir well. while still warm, add dressing and mushrooms to spinach and arugula. Garnish with rounds of goat cheese, serve ASAP.
At the website are the suggestions of other chefs, including our own SteveA on wonderful sounding variations
I'm thinking of making this to go with the Sundried Tomato Crusted Chicken for our online dinner party
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Figs by Bizymomma (I fixed the recipe t...)
Quote:

I fixed the recipe that I've been wanting to try using fresh figs. First of all, I've never seen figs for sale in any store here. So,...I only bought 2 when I was in Dallas because I didn't know if I'd like them or not.
I'd seen a recipe for figs stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in prosciutto then grilled, finished with a drizzle of EVOO salt and pepper. It just sounded unique and I wanted to try. They were tasty...very different. I would try them at a restuarant if I had the opportunity. I would give them a 6 1/2-7 out of 10. It would make a good amuse bouche!

I make the blue cheese, proscutto wrapped figs all the time when my figs come in. My season just ended. It doesn't last long enough! I think they are delicious. I've never grilled them, though. That sounds good and I'm going to remember to try that next year.
Calliope
  Re: Re: Figs by Bizymomma (What's the recipe po...)
Angela, while looking for another recipe, I ran across this one - I haven't made it forever, but as I remember, it's really good -

* Exported from MasterCook *

BALSAMIC AND FIG CARAMEL SAUCE

Recipe By :GourmetNovember 1998
Categories : SAUCES/CONDIMENTS/CHUTNEYS

8 soft dried figs (preferably Calimyrna)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Halve figs lengthwise, discarding stems. In a dry 3-quart heavy saucepan cook sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork (to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden. Cook caramel, without stirring, gently swirling pan, until deep golden.

Remove pan from heat and carefully pour water down side of pan (mixture will vigorously steam and caramel will harden). Add figs, vinegar, butter, and mustard and simmer, stirring, until caramel is dissolved and figs are softened, about 6 minutes. Sauce keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week. Reheat sauce before serving.

NOTES (that came with recipe): This was pure alchemy. After pouring the water into the melted sugar, everything turned into a hard glass-like glob which didn't seem like it would break down. It took far longer then the 6 minutes the recipe indicated, but it did indeed loosen up. I added extra mustard and a some honey to cut the vinegar some more. I marinated a pork loin some of the sauce and then cooked the sauce down to thicken it more and server it on the side of the pork. Everyone kept ladling more on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com