Saffron Risotto Recipe Needed
  Re: (...)
Ok need a recipe for Saffron Risotto. I'm waiting for my order from Penzey's (Thank you for the recommendation) and have never tasted or smelled saffron so looking forward this experience.

17 days and counting till school begins Want to experience as many new flavors as I can before then.
  Re: Saffron Risotto Recipe Needed by DFen911 (Ok need a recipe for...)
Here's one for you from a friend who is a wonderful cook and this is a wonderful dish - I've left as it was given to me, worts and all - please see the note on wine in the instructions!!

Risotto - June

6 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or onion
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups raw Arborio rice
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads -- crushed
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Sea salt -- if necessary

. Bring the broth to a slow steady simmer.

2. Put the shallots in a heavy pan with 3 tablespoons of the butter and all the oil and sauté over medium-high heat until translucent but not browned.

3. Add the rice and stir until it is well coated. Sauté lightly then add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth. Proceed according to basic risotto direction, adding 1/2 cup broth as the rice dries out, and stirring very frequently to keep it from sticking. If you run out of broth, use water.

4. When the rice is almost done, add the saffron, all the grated cheese and the remaining butter. Mix well. Taste and correct for salt. Remember, when the cooking nears the end, not to add too much broth at one time. The risotto should be creamy but not runny. Serve immediately, with additional grated cheese on the side, if desired.

Teacher's Tip: This risotto is good enough to be "supper" all by itself. Simply toss a salad of peppery greens, and choose a crisp Pinot Grigio.

Leftover risotto makes delicious rice cakes

If there is no wine in my recipe above, that's a typo! there should be 1/2 cup white wine added before the stock additions begin.

Description:
"Risotto alla Milanese"

Serving Ideas : Here's a risotto recipe I taught at a wine and cheese tasting/cooking class. The dry jack is worth seeking out, but you could substitute any sharp grating cheese.
I use arborio or carnaroli rice.

mushroom-jack risotto
On a back burner, heat 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock; keep simmering very gently*.

In a separate pan, toss in 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter, and sauté ½ cup chopped onion until tender. Add 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms - shitake, cremini, button, or a mix - and sauté for a couple minutes, until mushrooms have softened slightly. Add 2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice and sauté until edges are translucent.

Add ½ cup dry white wine** and stir until absorbed entirely. Add warm stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring*** until each addition is absorbed. As the risotto cooks, the rice will plump up slightly and the mixture will become increasingly creamy; cook until rice is slightly al dente.

Stir in a final ½ cup broth and 1 cup grated dry jack; stir until cheese is just melted, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

* stock: you may not need all of it, but then again, you may need more. If you run short, don't be afraid to dilute the broth, or to substitute the a bit of water at the end. If you have extra, refrigerate or freeze until your next soup or risotto project.

** white wine: sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio are good bets here. Be sure to use a decent quality wine here; a good rule of thumb: if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. Since you're using a relatively small amount in the risotto itself, crack open a good bottle and serve the rest with dinner. This is what Sam calls "cheater's wine pairing," and what I call "convenient."

*** stirring: an endless risotto debate. Some say it should be stirred constantly, others say occasionally. The ultimate goal is to release the starches in the rice by moving the grains around, which gives the risotto its trademark creaminess. Shoot for a happy medium. Stir quite a bit, and keep a close eye on the rice to prevent sticking or scorching, but don't chain yourself to the stove. And be sure to drink plenty of that dry white wine.

This is the classic, basic Risotto Milanese recipe as it appears in my book. You can jazz it up however you like, but as far as risotto goes, I'm a purist regarding the technique. There is no way to hurry it and have great results. The good part is that most folks seem to enjoy standing or sitting around with a glass of wine watching me stir it (and taking a turn with the spoon, as well.) I like to use Carnaroli Nano which is a variety of Arborio rice. I think I like the texture of the finished dish better.

--------

17 days!!! Oh, how exciting - everytime I hear of someone just starting culinary school, I'm so envious to just be starting again also. I absolutely loved everything about cul. school!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saffron Risotto Recipe Needed by DFen911 (Ok need a recipe for...)
Congratulations Denise!!!
I knew you were going, I checked out your blog. I didn't realize it was so close. How exciting, make sure you tell us all about it. Descriptions of every class please.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Saffron Risotto Recipe Needed by farnfam (Congratulations Deni...)
Ok I made this risotto. This was the first time I've ever used Saffron. So there was a bit of confusion. When the recipe called for 1/2 tsp. of saffron was that pre-ground or after it's ground? I erred on the side of caution and measured it out as whole stems then ground that up. I kept hearing the voice "A little goes a very long way"

Anyway it was wonderful!! The next day I made panini's and took the left over risotto and made 'cakes' out of them. I then sauteed them in olive oil and just before they came off put a thin slice of butter to melt over the top and garnished with chives. (I wish I had had more left overs because these came out so tasty).

A few other firsts for me this weekend. I tried scallops at a hibachi bar. I wasn't expecting the texture to be what they were. I thought they were much more chewy. But these were so tender and the flavor reminded me of a grilled halibut meets a grilled prawn. I don't know that I would eat them for an entree, but certainly for an appetizer.

I also tried mussels. These had been steamed in white wine and served over linguini. I guess I thought the mussels would have the texture the scallops had. They were a bit chewy to me. The flavor wasn't bad at all. But for me it was the texture. Are you suppose to chew them? Maybe I was eating them wrong

My third experiment - goat cheese. Now keep in mind I really do not care for any dairy products. Not that I'm lactose intolerant, just don't like it I used the goat cheese on the panini's I made and what a nice flavor. Very creamy almost like cream cheese.

(If you haven't noticed I'm trying to get in as many new tastes as possible before class)

Soy beans. I had an appetizer called edamame. These were fun to eat. Not a lot of flavor but I did end up putting some soy on a plate and putting the beans inside after I popped them out. Oh and I learned if you squeeze too hard..they FLY out. Yes right onto the hot grill. The chef didn't miss a beat, he flicked it with his knife and caught it in his front pocket.

Not that it classifies as a new 'food', but did try hot sake. Yuck. That was just not a pleasant experience. It's like drinking hot shots of white wine. However, cold sake is pretty good.

This week I'm trying lamb (grilled). I'll find a couple of other things to play with. Hehehe I love playing with my food.
  Re: Had the Risotto and a few others! :) by DFen911 (Ok I made this risot...)
Your enthusiasm is fantastic!!! What a great time you are going to have in your classes---sooooo many things to learn and experiment with. Wish I had done that in my "younger" days--- Now I just pick up all this great info here---be sure to share any interesting tidbits if you have the time when your instruction begins and most of all HAVE FUN!!!! I think that won't be too difficult for you--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Had the Risotto and a few others! :) by Roxanne 21 (Your enthusiasm is f...)
Quote:

Wish I had done that in my "younger" days...

Go for it! I am turning 44 years old this month and decided to change careers. You are never too old! There was a man out here that went back to school at age 84 and just graduated at age 90.

If you want to do something nothing should hold you back. There are always solutions and ways of doing things
  Re: Re: Had the Risotto and a few others! :) by DFen911 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I had cooked all my life, but I didn't go to Culinary School until I was 60!! And when I retired, I was the chef at an old historic hotel and loved every minute of it!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com