Baba Rum
  Re: (...)
Hi Guys,

Have any of you heard of this dessert called Baba Rum? Does anybody have a recipe for it? If you do please oh please post.

THank you
  Re: Baba Rum by piano226 (Hi Guys,[br][br]Have...)
It sounded familiar to me, but couldn't remember what I'd heard about it - so you sent me on a mission and here's what I found.

From my FLC: baba - also called baba au rhum this rich light currant- or raisin-studded yeast cake is soaked in a rum or kirsch syrup. The classic baba is baked in a tall, cylindrical baba mold but the cake can be made in a variety of shapes, including small individual rounds. When the cake is baked in a large ring mold it's known as a Savarin.

BABA

For the Baba
3 1/2 oz flour
A pinch of salt
1/2 oz sugar
A pinch of baking powder
2 eggs
1 oz butter
For the syrup
1 quart water
18 oz caster sugar
Lemon zests
Orange zests

For the finishing touch
2 oz of apricot coating/glazing
Add Rum according to your taste

For the whipped cream Chantilly
7 oz double cream
1oz sugar
1/2 vanilla pod

Prepare Baba:
Mix all the ingredients without the butter and then beat with a wooden spoon for about 15 minutes. When the dough starts to unstick from the spoon, add the melted butter. Mix.

Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rise. When the volume doubles spread the dough halfway up the 4 buttered moulds. Make sure that the dough is evenly spread and than leave it to rise in a warm area (86 - 95°F). The Baba should slightly overflow the moulds.

Cook it in the oven for 25 minutes at 392 - 400°F. The cooking time can depend on the size, color, and desired moistness of the Baba. Turn out the Babas as soon as they are cook.

Make syrup and cream:
Mix all the syrup ingredients and bring to boiling point. Leave to infuse. Place the Babas in the syrup and leave to soak for about 40 minutes. Verify that they are well soaked, and then place them on a grid to let them drip for about 5 minutes.

Slice the vanilla pod in two lengthwise and scrape out the grains that will be mixed in with the cream.

Beat the vanilla grains with the sugar and cream to obtain a Chantilly.

Put the Baba on a plate and glaze with the apricot coating.

Serving at the table, cut the Baba in two (lengthwise) and pour on the rum according to you taste. Served it with the Chantilly cream.

Makes 4 servings.

Epicurious
October 2001
Alain Ducasse
----

Well, looks like Chef Alain Ducasse took quite the liberties with a baba!! So, the above is no where near a 'classic'.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com