Mussels
  Re: (...)
We have recently had fresh mussels appear in our local supermarket and I'm wondering if any of you have any tried and true recipes using this. I have used them before in a bouilliabaise and they are incredibly delicious. Just looking for something different and I have been unable to find anything in C@H--help please!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Mussels by Roxanne 21 (We have recently had...)
Here's one from the MembersPlus side of the house. You can search recipies over there! Unfortunately the recipie doesn't give a reference to the issue it appeared in. Skip the heavy cream. You will NOT miss it.

Linguine with Mussels, Prosciutto, & Peas in Lemon-Tarragon Cream Sauce
Makes: About 3 Cups Total Time: About 30 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil:
2 T. shallots, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
Minced zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 a lemon

Cook:
4 oz. dry linguine

Add and Steam; Stir in:
1 lb. mussels, scrubbed, debearded
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 T. chopped fresh tarragon

Finish with; Toss with:
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 oz. prosciutto, sliced into thin ribbons
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked, drained pasta

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

Saute shallots and pepper flakes in oil until soft in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.

Deglaze with wine; add broth, cream, zest, and juice. Simmer until slightly thickened, 3–5 minutes.

Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions, then drain well.

Add mussels to the cream sauce, cover, and steam until shells open, about 4 minutes. Discard any that don’t open, then stir in butter and herbs. Spoon the sauce over the mussels to coat.

Finish with peas, prosciutto, and seasonings. Toss drained pasta in the sauce and serve.
Roxanne, In issue 52 in the Table for Two section there is a recipe called Grilled Clams and Sausage on page 14. We just love this one and will sub in a doz or so Mussels for the Clams when available. If your grill's spokes are too far apart to accommodate the mussels, let them open right in the foil pan. We do this recipe for the first night of almost every camping trip, it's that much of a favorite. If you don't have issue 52 I can post it for you. I hope you will try it and enjoy it.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Here are 2 recipes that we enjoy. I hope this helps!

MUSSELS WITH HERBED BREAD CRUMBS

1 ½ cups coarse crumbs from a fresh loaf of crusty Italian or French bread
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 oz)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon table salt
56 mussels (1 1/4 lb)
cleaned and steamed, using half white wine and half water, then shucked, reserving 56 half shells
2 cups kosher salt
Accompaniment: lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Stir together bread crumbs, oil, cheese, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and table salt.
Scrub reserved shells inside and out and dry thoroughly. Spread kosher salt about 1/4 inch deep in a large shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan and nestle shells in salt to keep them level. Return shucked mussels to shells and top each with about 1 teaspoon bread crumb mixture.
Bake mussels in middle of oven until crumbs are golden brown and crisp, about 7 minutes.
Cool slightly and brush salt from bottoms of mussel shells before serving.

Makes 8 first-course or hors d'oeuvre servings.

Gourmet
April 2002

STEAMED MUSSELS WITH LEMON-SAFFRON SAUCE
The name for this beautiful Bordelais dish is mouclade. Use small mussels to approximate the tiny, sweet variety cultivated just off the coast north of Bordeaux. What to drink: Baron Philippe de Rothschild 2000 Mouton Cadet Blanc.

1/2 cup crème fraîche*
2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 large shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 generous pinch of saffron threads
40 mussels, scrubbed, debearded
1 cup dry white wine
Fresh chives

Whisk crème fraîche and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Add Cognac and ignite with match. Let flames burn out; whisk in lemon juice and saffron. Set both mixtures aside.
Place mussels in heavy large pot; pour in wine. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover pot and cook until mussels open, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Using tongs, transfer mussels to baking sheet (discard any mussels that do not open). Remove top half of each mussel shell; divide mussels in bottom shells among 4 bowls. Tent with foil.
Strain mussel cooking liquid from pot through sieve lined with damp paper towel into skillet with shallot mixture. Boil over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Very slowly whisk hot liquid into crème fraîche mixture; return to same skillet. Stir over low heat just until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over mussels. Garnish with chives.
* Sold at some supermarkets. If unavailable, heat 1 cup whipping cream to lukewarm (85°F). Remove from heat and mix in 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Cover and let stand in warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit
October 2002
Oh lucky you, Roxanne - you're going to have fun now!! Great sounding ideas so far ( copied almost everyone!)

here's a couple more - we like to just put them on the grill and grill till the shells open. Then either feast away, or add a dollop of BBQ sauce, an aioli, lemon juice, just about anything you can think of.

or put them in a dry skillet over med-high heat and let them go till open. You can also just add a little butter, parsley, lemon zest and a good white wine and cook them in that. (Doesn't take much of the above, just enuf so you have something to dip the sourdough in.... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mussels by cjs (Oh lucky you, Roxan...)
We do them in the dry pan too, tossing in some diced onion and jalapenos and blood orange juice. Love 'em.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mussels by Kiernan46 (Here's one from the ...)
Thanks guys!!! I just knew I could count on you!!!!!!

Now I have another problem------which one to choose first--UMMMM-----to go and purchase my first fresh mussels --I see what will be on the menu in the coming weeks----

Your time has been precious---HUGE hugs--to everyone!!!

Re: Re: Mussels by Roxanne 21 (Thanks guys!!! I j...)
I ususally just put them in a pot and steam in white wine until they open, pick them out as they do. The ones in our supermarket are mid size, but we were given a couple of dozen from way North, ages ago. They were absolutely huge. Very tender and madly tasty, I steamed them too, no one could eat more than half a dozen, (and that was the men) and that was dinner.
  Re: Re: Mussels by vannin (I ususally just put ...)
OKAY!!!! You're not gonna believe this one!!!

I downloaded and printed all of the recipes and gave to DH and and requested that he choose the recipe for the fresh mussels I purchased today. WELL_______he chose the C@H recipe and it was a great, huge hit!!! A wonderful recipe--I almost changed my mind at the last minute BUT needless to say later for the others.

The sauce was very tasty---NOT heavy as I thought it would be with the cream. The ingredients were well balanced. I added a little green salad and some toasted baguette slices--Bob's your uncle!! Peter was very happy and one of the few timws he said that he would love to have this again----from a non-pasta lover!! A very nice recipe indeed--I did sub the tarragon with basil though only because the basil is fresh in my herb garden--

I see that maybe shrimp might work in this as well---but the mussels were great!!!

NEXT????
  Re: Re: Mussels by Roxanne 21 (OKAY!!!! You're n...)
Well, if it's good enuf for Peter....duly copied and anxious to try!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com