Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42
  Re: (...)
Ok I don't know what happened but I was so looking forward to these. I did this recipe twice and still it didn't work.

It says to add the corn meal slowly and then the masa, then add the fresh corn (3 cups). The instructions also say cook till smooth and thick. (sorry don't have the recipe here in front of me). Well for starters it gets real thick the minute you put the corn meal in. But I kept stirring. You add the corn (pulsed in a food processor) to the mixture and now it will never be 'smooth'. It also doesn't say how much the fresh corn should be pulsed, so I just broke up the kernels a bit. I cooked it the 5 minutes it said that the smooth consistency should take. Added the cheese and put it all into the pan and then into the fridge for 2 hours. It was still liquid after 2 hours.

So then I moved on and made something else for dinner and thought, Ok I'll just leave it in overnight and do it tomorrow. Well the next morning still liquid.

So thinking I screwed something up I started over, figuring it's now 9am I have plenty of time to get this thing firmed up for dinner. I repeat everything and still it's liquid after hours in the fridge.

Has anyone else tried this recipe? I'm honestly thinking they left out an ingredient to bind it all together.
  Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by DFen911 (Ok I don't know what...)
DFen911, I think the instructions are rather vague. Have you ever made fried polenta...it is almost the same approach.

I plan to make these corn cakes soon and my approach will be as follows: boil water and add the cornmeal and masa, turn heat to low and cook for 10 - 12 minutes all the while stirring. (Polenta usually takes 15 minutes of cooking.) Add the corn and cook 5 minutes more.

Even when I make spoonbread the cooking and stirring takes a while. The cornmeal will actually leave the sides of the pan and get very thick. You really get a work-out!

Once I make mine I will share the results with Y'all.
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by dollop (DFen911, I think the...)
I'll be anxious to hear yours comes out. I've never made polenta. I was so frustrated after the second batch came out as bad as the first.

The image in the magazine shows theirs very firm and pushing a cutter thru it. That's when I knew something was very wrong.
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by DFen911 (I'll be anxious to h...)
I haven't made this either, but I do make my polenta as dollop does and add things to it after cooking. I wonder if it would help to drain the corn just before adding it??? (I don't have the instructions in front of me either, so I'm playin' in the dark here.

gotta try this!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by cjs (I haven't made this ...)
I am so dying to make these. We bought some carnitas all ready to go and I was going to make these, just too tired.

We have polenta a lot. Love it, always start it with boiling water and adding all kinds of stuff as it finishes. This week we had some polenta with truffles. OMG This was so good that Bob and I ooohed and ahhhhhed over leftovers last night, served with grilled butterflied leg of lamb!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by Harborwitch (I am so dying to mak...)
Sharon..I want to come to your house I've never had it but reading that made me want it.

Address please? Date? Time? Come on...don't hold back. I have a boat, I'm in Calif...I'll reach you somehow
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by Harborwitch (I am so dying to mak...)
"This week we had some polenta with truffles. " - that's just not right not to share, Lady!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by cjs ("This week we had so...)
If I can find it again I'll send you some. It was a packaged polenta that I found somewhere. I've either gotta get some truffles or more of the polenta!

Did I mention I gilded the lilly by adding cream and a big knob of truffle butter?????? I'm having leftovers for lunch as I type this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by Harborwitch (If I can find it aga...)
not nice...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tamale Corn Cakes Pg 42 by DFen911 (Ok I don't know what...)
Hello, new here. I actually found this board because I was searching for some sort of community that discussed CAH recipes, specifically why this one turned out so poorly for me!

I had the same problem of the batter remaining liquid. I emptied it back into a pan, and added about 1 additional cup of Maseca, which thickened it a little bit, but not enough. I ended up frying the soft lumps and hoping for the best. They remained soft, but a bit crispy on the outside. But they barely hold their shape.

I am ready to try again, but also seek specific advice on what to do to make the recipe work as promised.