Review chicken cordon bleu
  Re: (...)
Well, while y'all were barbecuing and having a great fun day outdoors with family and friends, I made this dish for DH's coming home from Valencia dinner. OUTSTANDING!!!!

I went to the market last week and found these gorgeous, huge chicken breasts--nicest I have ever seen here for size. Anyway, started to prep the chicken for stuffing---NOT BONELESS!!! Boy, was I deflated. Sooo--went about with my trusty little knife and they ended up being the little ***** I have worked with in the past. I couldn't find fontina (sporadically available) therefore used a port salud. Wrapped the cheese with a basil leaf and parma ham. Followed directions to the letter and let me tell you these babies are on my "to serve guest" list. Not difficult or finicky to prepare. The sauce is excellent--just cut back on the butter emulsification somewhat. The chicken was melt-in-your-mouth tender and every bite had a pleasant surprise. You're gonna love it!!

We are not that fond of couscous so I made a rice pasta--little rice sized grains of pasta--and use the remaining ingredients to make a lovely sauce. Gobbled up!!!

The roasted asparagus came out perfectly as well--recipe is spot on.

For dessert, chocolate covered strawberries

Served a lovely Pinot Noir purchased from one of our local vineyards.

Perfect welcome home dinner---it was either really good or he was sooo very tired of eating hotel food!!

Anybody else make this yet??

I hope all of you have had a very happy and safe 4th!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by Roxanne 21 (Well, while y'all we...)
roxanne, which issue is this from?? I love this dish, but have not made this particular version - will have to look into. I'm a real couscous fan, so would definitely go with that.

I'm glad DH is home safe and was delighted with his home-cooked meal!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by cjs (roxanne, which issue...)
So now that we're on the subject, what exactly is couscous?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by farnfam (So now that we're on...)
Couscous is made from granular semolina.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by cjs (roxanne, which issue...)
Weeknight menus!!! This was on a list last week that I thought you posted---OOPS!!! Need recipes??
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by farnfam (So now that we're on...)
Couscous is tiny little grains of pasta that can be cooked in a very short time by adding hot water and letting the grains absorb the water--swells up to an edible consistency--this is used a great deal of Middle Eastern dishes--BIG time in Morocco. I find the texture a little too mealy for me--but I may try again. At the present time, it is a big staple for the chefs of British cuisine.
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by Roxanne 21 (Couscous is tiny lit...)
Here are the recipes. The chicken is one recipe I want to try, not sure about the couscous.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cordon Bleu Chicken w/Almond Couscous

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 4-6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 slices prosciutto, halved crosswise
4 1/2 oz each slices fontina cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter -- cubed
1 cup red grapes
Almond Couscous

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cut a pocket into the wide end of the chicken breast (Use a boning knife to make a pocket in each breast at the thick end using small back-and-forth strokes). Wrap prosciutto around each piece of cheese and insert cheese packet into the pocket. Secure each pocket with a toothpick. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, then saute in butter in a large oven-proof saute pan over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken and transfer pan to the oven. Roast for 8 minutes, or until chicken reaches 160°F. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.

Add shallots to the same pan and saute for 2 minutes over medium-high heat.

Deglaze with wine, scraping up browned bits from the pan. Add broth and thyme, and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add butter, and swirl until melted. Return chicken to pan to heat through. Add grapes and stir to coat with sauce. Remove toothpicks from chicken and serve with sauce and Almond Couscous.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome Weeknight Menus"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Couscous

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup plain dry couscous
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- toasted

Bring broth, wine, and salt to a boil; stir in the couscous. Cover, remove from heat, and let steam 5 minutes.

Finish with cream and fluff with a fork. Stir in almonds.

Source:
"CAH Weeknight Menus"
Yield:
"2 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by bjcotton (Here are the recipes...)
I was given to understand that couscous was the staple food of the Roman soldiers of long ago. We were also told that the average height of the (then) solider was 4'6", and indeed, this was repeated on TV history channel a couple of nights ago. I find that amazing.
  Re: Re: Review chicken cordon bleu by Roxanne 21 (Weeknight menus!!! ...)
"Weeknight menus!!! This was on a list last week that I thought you posted---OOPS!!! "

Well, there you go!! A week ago? a week ago???? For heaven's sake, I can't remember a thing from yesterday!!

I now remember seeing it in the 'Weeknight' - and will certainly fix it.
www.achefsjourney.com