Vegetarian 4th of July???
  Re: (...)
Well, my dear vegetarian daughter is coming home for the weekend, and I am wondering if there are any vegetarians out there who might have some suggestions as to what special things I can prepare for her this 4th.
  Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Kiernan46 (Well, my dear vegeta...)
mmmmm! Grilled portobello mushrooms!! You can make a sandwich out of them they are so meaty! I love portos!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Bizymomma (mmmmm! Grilled port...)
Yes I agree, mushroom is called the veggies meat for the vit.B I think. I love cauliflower au gratin. Y'know, even at our family (home) buffets I seldom eat any meat, to much good salad, and too many of them with a really good bread, to be bothered.
  Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Kiernan46 (Well, my dear vegeta...)
I'm assuming she's over 21? How about Margaritas and chips and a great traditional guacamole for appys.

Maybe a tart?
Artichoke & spring Onion (with creme fraiche, white cheddar cheese, etc.)?
Corn & Basil tart (with shallots, creme fraiche, again white cheddar, and of course big beautiful basil leaves and wonderful corn cut from the cob)
And here is a Paula Deen tart -

TOMATO TARTS

1 sheet Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry
Olive oil
½ cup grated white Cheddar cheese
4 Italian plum tomatoes -- cut into ¼-inch slices (4 to 5)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves -- chopped fine
Approximately ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.

2. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and allow it to thaw for 20 minutes. Unfold the pastry on the counter, and using a 1 ½ - or 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds of dough. Place the puff pastry rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork. Brush each round lightly with olive oil and top with a small amount of the Cheddar cheese, then with a tomato slice. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the tomato, then sprinkle on a pinch of thyme and about 1 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.

Makes~24 tarts, depending on size of the cutter.

PAULA DEEN
These tarts smell so delicious when they are cooking, your guests will want to pluck them straight from the pan, but you need to let them cool or you'll burn your tongue! You'll need a biscuit cutter for this recipe; take it with you when you shop for the tomatoes, so your tomatoes and pastry rounds are the same size

or how about grilling her a Pizza with Corn, Tomatillos & Chipolte Chilies (it's so good!)

Roasted Portobellos filled with Veggies and Fontina cheese??
Anaheim Chilies filled with Corn, Cheddar & Cilantro?
a Focaccia Sandwich with Roasted eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes and Asiago?

Geez, I could go on and on...what does she like?
All she wants is probably a great big hug from her Dad!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by cjs (I'm assuming she's o...)
Yes, she's over 21 and there will be margaritas! Great ideas. There will be portabella burgers. I had forgotten about those. I love the tart recipie, I'm going to make it. Maybe I should take another look at my Paula Dean cookbooks. BTW, we ate at her restaurant in Savannah a couple of months ago. It was OK, not great. Thanks for all the great ideas, but keep 'em coming, she's gonna be here for 4 days! Buckwheat waffles with homemade strawberry preserves for breakfast this morning.
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Kiernan46 (Yes, she's over 21 a...)
I did some cooking for vegetarians a few years ago and here's a couple of their favorites -

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe
Serving Size : 6
AL BURRO SAUCE:
6 fluid ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
1 pound Butternut squash, peeled, cut in ~1/2" chunks
1 T. Olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 T. fresh mincced sage leaves
salt & pepper
------
1 pound Penne
-------
the following are optional garnishes for the dish -
24 -36 fresh sage leaves
1" depth of veggie oil in a small fry pan
Optional adds: toasted pine nuts,

al Burro sauce:
With a mixer, beat the butter till light & fluffy; add the heavy cream gradually, beating constantly till all cream is added.
Add the Parmesan, mix just till blended; cover and reserve.

Butternut Squash:
Put the 1/2" cubes on a baking sheet and toss together with the 1 T. olive oil, minced sage, garlic, and salt & pepper.
Roast in a 400° oven for 15 - 20 min. till tender, turning the pieces once during roasting. Remove from oven and set aside.

Sage Leaves garnish:
Heat the fry pan with ~1" veggie oil till a couple of drops of water sizzle.
Drop in individual leaves top side down - after 30-45 seconds, turn over and let just brown; remove quickly w/a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Set aside.

Cook Penne according to pkg. directions, drain.

Finish dish:
Add the penne to the al burro sauce mix together well, then add the roasted butternut squash, toss gently to completely mix - add salt to taste and lots of freshly grated pepper.
Top each plate with addtl. grated parmesan and a few fried sage leaves and/or pine nuts. And, a little more freshly ground pepper, if desired.

Serving Ideas : -----
When you feel flush, try a bottle of E. Guigal Condrieu (a White Rhône wine) with this dish - delicious!!
---------------

This one is simple but just delicious - and it makes the house smell so good while baking

ZUCCHINI TORTE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey, via Lana, Cameron Park Country Club, 8/01

4 cups zucchini -- grated
4 eggs -- well beaten
1 cup bisquick® baking mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 small onion -- grated

Mix all together - Bake in 9X9" pan. 350 for 1 hour.
-----------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by cjs (I did some cooking f...)
These are keepers, Jean. Thanks for the recipes and your suggestions. What would we do without your pearls???

Wish I had butternut (or any squash) on hand--I would make this tonight--and eat the WHOLE thing by myself--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by cjs (I did some cooking f...)
Here is a great recipe you may enjoy. If you do not like goat cheese (I DON'T!!!), try it---it's really great!!

Goat's Cheese Souffle

Serves 6

6 day-old croissants
300g soft goat's cheese, crumbled (I have not tried other cheeses but a VERY mild blue cheese might work???)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 large eggs
2 TBS Dijon mustard
3 cups milk
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease or spray a 10 inch souffle mold 0r baking dish with olive oil.

2. Tear each croissant into six pieces and place into the souffle dish. Scatter the goat's cheese and Paremesan.

3. In a bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add Dijon mustard and milk and blens well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over croissants and cheese and leave to soak in for 10 minutes. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes. Serve immediately.

I always cut this in half for two of us and it is plenty. Serve with a salad of your choice and a nice Pinot wine.

This is from VINEYARDS OF NEW ZEALAND COOKBOOK by Julie LeClerc and Vic Williams. Dale--are you paying attention???

Also---I have a really good mushroom omelet recipe if you would like to see that. Does your daughter like Tofu?? You could do any of your favorite chicken recipes by replacing. I do not like Tofu---but it's a great protein supplement.

Have fun with your daughter---always very special times!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Roxanne 21 (Here is a great reci...)
Thanks to all of you. And, to add a special thanks to Roxanne, I actually have some six MONTH old croissants in the freezer. I think I'll pull them out and try this!
  Re: Re: Vegetarian 4th of July??? by Kiernan46 (Thanks to all of you...)
I don't have any croissants in the freezer, but I'm thinking I'd better get some! Sounds very good, roxanne.
www.achefsjourney.com