Knife Sharpening
  Re: (...)
The editor's letter Billy posted made me think to ask y'all about this. My knives need sharpening desperately, but I don't have a clue where to take them or send them. I was so desperate that I bought new knives that I could use while waiting for mine to get sharpened. I was thinking of getting one of those Chef's Choice sharpeners, but I don't know which to get, if any. Soooo, what do y'all do to sharpen your knives?
Tammy
  Re: Knife Sharpening by TwilightKitten (The editor's letter ...)
Have my hubby do it----his contribution to the food prep-- He LOVES knives!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Knife Sharpening by Roxanne 21 (Have my hubby do it-...)
I use an Edgemaker Pro. I've used them for about 8 years. They are kind of like a steel, but shaped like an X set in plastic. You can check them out at www.edgemaker.com. They were $13 last year. I bought one that was very coarse [blue plastic handle], another that has two XX type sharpeners [it is orange], one is less coarse than the blue and the second is finer yet. Then there is a yellow one that is very fine. I sent Lorraine one to try. They are very easy to use and keep the knives as sharp as you want them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Knife Sharpening by bjcotton (I use an Edgemaker P...)
My mother used to sharpen her knives on the back steps. I send mine to a person skilled in these matters. They were probably as good as each other in this matter. I am not.
  Re: Knife Sharpening by TwilightKitten (The editor's letter ...)
Tammy, there are a couple ways to go re sharpening your knives. Most large supermarkets, offer this service. Talk to the buthchers.

Or, imo, the best alternative is to buy yourself a stone and a good steel. The stone is used to sharpen the knives and in between use the steel to 'true the edge' - to maintain the sharp edge.

Many, except probably the real expensive electric, sharpeners on the market wear away too much of your knife without giving you a good edge.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Knife Sharpening by cjs (Tammy, there are a c...)
Thanks, everybody! I will talk to the butcher. I would love to find someone who could do it locally, but so far none of them do serrated knives. My poor serrated knife needs sharpening too.

My husband has a stone, but doesn't trust himself to work on our expensive kitchen knives...lol...I don't either!

After I posted, I checked out the member's plus section...I can't remember where I found it, but there was an article on sharpening. They recommended some places to send the knives to...I might end up just doing that. Thanks again for the advice!
Tammy