An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre
  Re: (...)
My best friend from high school is in town visiting his sister. He recently battled leukemia into remission and we are celebrating with Friday nite dinner at our house. We will begin by sipping 12 year old Highland Park. Dinner will consist of steak au poivre, pomme anna, iceberg wedge with creamy blue cheese and crumbles, fresh home grown celebrity & cherokee purple tomatoes and served with a '99 Stags Leap Cab. Creme brulee for dessert.

The Steak au Poivre is from Vol. 39, June, 03.
For the steaks, coarsely crush 2 T black peppercorns, 1 T white peppercorns, 2 t yellow mustard seeds and coat 2 1lb strip steaks. Pre heat oven to 425. The steaks should be coated on one side and salted to taste on the other. Sear steaks on med high heat in 2 T oil for 4-5 min peppercorn side up--turn the meat over and place pan in the oven and roast about 7 min for med rare. Transfer to a platter and let steaks rest while making the sauce.

For the sauce, use the pan the steaks were in--add 1/4 cup shallots and 1 T unsalted butter over med heat--saute' until soft. Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup brandy off heat- return to burner, and stir in 1 T Dijon mustard and simmer until thickened- 3-4 minutes. Finish with 1 T fresh lemon juice, 1 t fresh thyme. salt and cayenne to taste. Serve immediately over the steaks.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by Old Bay (My best friend from ...)
PLEASE---save an extra place for me---I PROMISE I won't eat too much!!!! That sounds as though that will be a GREAT dinner party!!!! Have fun!!! Always wonderful to connect with old friends----such a special time--ENJOY!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by Old Bay (My best friend from ...)
Very, very nice menu!! God, I miss having my Cherokee Purples...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by cjs (Very, very nice menu...)
I do think old recipes still have much merit. We turn our backs to them to our detriment. It is a great pity. And a loss, for everyone. I still use the recipes, (well not really recipes, just a way of doing things) for my children if they are unwell, or just need a dose of Mummy. And the youngest is 25. We are never to old for care. A bath, a scrub, a million towels, the bed warm and soft, and the sleep,knowing their grumpy, crusty old Dad is at hand and they are as safe as a new born infant.

We don't do enough of this for each other. What do others think. Fundamental nurture. TLC Call it what you will. The subject remains interesting to me. Please give kindest regards to your friend, he clearly has great virtue in choosing his friends.
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by vannin (I do think old recip...)
I'm going to have to try that Bill, thanks a bunch. My best to your friend.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by vannin (I do think old recip...)
Oh, I don't know Dale, I think we all do hold on to the past with our food habits which equate to family love...remember Share A Recipe Cookbook??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by cjs (Oh, I don't know Dal...)
Great sounding menu, Bill!! And what a great reason to celebrate.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by Lorraine (Great sounding menu,...)
The meal was great--we added sauteed mushrooms and picked the last Swiss Chard and made a gratin, Seemed more like a steak house. The wine was lovely.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: An Old Friend for an Old Friend, Steak au Poivre by Old Bay (The meal was great--...)
That is wonderful-----great to have a memorable time with an old friend and recount history!!! Bless you all---may you have many such moments!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy