Chorizo - for Suzie
  Re: (...)
Suzie, this is a very old recipe that I probably have not made for 20-25 years, but I would not have kept it had we not liked it. At that time all the kids were home, so I probably played with the chili peppers (number of and seed/membrane) I added. And at that time I'm sure I didn't know there was a difference in Chorizos...so, what I'm saying with all this gobbly gook, is this is a nice flavored sausage, but you'll have to play with it...have fun.

Chorizo

Recipe By :Bon Appetit/March 1981
Serving Size : 4

1 1/2 pounds trimmed pork shoulder or loin
cut in 1/2- X 1 3/4-inch strips
1/2 pound trimmed pork fat
cut in 1/2- X 1 3/4-inch strips
1/2 small onion -- sliced
2 medium garlic cloves
5 small dried red chili peppers
3 cloves
3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves -- crumbled
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 1/2 quarts water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Rinse sausage casings and soak in tepid water for 1 hour. Freeze pork and fat 30 minutes, then grind fat through fine blade of grinder and pork through coarse blade with onion and garlic.

2. Toast chilies, cloves, coriander and cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Crush coarsely in mortar. Stir into meat with salt, paprika, oregano, red pepper and cinnamon. Stir in vinegar 1 Tbs at a time. Cover and chill.

3. Stuff sausage mixture into casings. Tie or twist into 8 links 5 to 6 inches long. Hang in cool spot until dry or refrigerate on a rack, turning occasionally, for about 12 to 24 hours.

4. To cook: Bring water to simmer in Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add sausages, cover and poach gently 15 minutes. Drain sausages well, discarding poaching liquid. Pat sausages dry. Heat butter and oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add sausages and saute until browned on all sides.
-----

One more thing, can't say if I made bulk out of this or stuffed it - at that time, I don't think I had the stuffing attachment, butnot sure.

Not sure of much today, am I?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by cjs (Suzie, this is a ver...)
Do you still have the July 93 issue of BA? I have lost mine. There was a recipe for Windows Crabcakes on pg 86. It was my favorite at the time. I have good recipes for crabcakes but would like to have this one for posterity.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Crickey dick mate. I never even THOUGHT about making chorizo, let alone having a recipe and doing it. M'head is spinning, I thought I was racy even buying them. LOL. I adore making large mixed meat platters. Crowded with colour and flavours, bursting with a miriad of aromas, real grab you by the nose stuff. And intensely interesting for the pickers, like me to consider. And pick. All from the deli counter. Tee Hee.

And of course one has to have a pickle bowl. Red cabbage in the centre, with a small ramkin inverted underneath, collects the juices of stuff and stops other things falling in. then make a clock thing, With all manner of things fanning out from the centre. Need a fairly large bowl that flairs from the centre. Onions, gerkins, dills, fresh pineapple, cheese chunks. olives, green and black. Various coloured bell peppers, green onion, carrot sticks, what ever takes your fancy. I know it is not all pickled, the rest is raw. But I call it a pickle bowl anyway. Radish, snow peas, green beans, they are all so pretty.
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by vannin (Crickey dick mate. ...)
Mrs. Dale,.......you never cease to make me smile!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by Bizymomma (Mrs. Dale,.......you...)
;Þ Sshhhh, darling, I am hiding from Suzy for pinching her recipe. If you want to contact me I shall meet you in the lobby of the Bergan Post Office. 11.30 am Thursday week. I shall be in disguise, I have no wish to be recognised, Suzy might be there. If you happen to notice a giant Prawn loitering in one of the phone boxes, you are getting very near. Thats all I can say now. Tell no-one.
Wow, thanks. I wouldn't bother to make it except that I can't find the "right" chorizo where we live. It doesn't need to be in casings, so hopefully this won't be too difficult to make. It'll end up being browned in the skillet and then mixed with rice, most likely, as that's the way my DH likes it.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by Old Bay (Do you still have th...)
Bill, you asked just in time - I've decided to down size even more and get rid of more magazines!! I'll go look.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by Old Bay (Do you still have th...)
Your posterity is intact, Bill!!!! Success!!

I will post the recipe for Windows Crab Cakes separately.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by cjs (Your posterity is in...)
Sorry I haven't been online lately. We had to do without a computer for a while. Anyhoo, my DH just got back from Nicaragua and brought me the cookbook that I had been looking high and low for. It's in Spanish, of course, but it's a big hardcover book that has tons of Nicaraguan recipes in it... including chorizo.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: Chorizo - for Suzie by Suzie_Homemaker (Sorry I haven't been...)
Hi Suzie!
Glad to hear you got your cookbook you wanted! and glad to hear that DH made it back safe from his trip!

The boards have been relatively quiet for a few days....it's killing me!!!! I'm an addict tho, everytime I sign on, I want to read something new...LOL
Loving every moment of my life!!