NordicWare bundt pan annoyances
  Re: (...)
Several times I've baked a carrot cake recipe that's supposed to be baked in a Bundt pan. Half the time, though, the cake sticks to the pan and refuses to unmold. Since this recipe has become my DH's favorite, and because it's already adjusted for high altitude (we live at 4,000 ft. above sea level), I haven't been able to find a similar recipe that could be baked in a 13" x 9" pan and put an end to my Bundt pan woes.

The other day, I found a Wilton Performance Plus cast aluminum bundt pan at Wally World for only $15 (with a 25-year warranty), so figured I'd give it a try. I baked the cake this AM, and it unmolded very easily. The best part is that this cake pan has a light crumb--not dark like my NordicWare Platinum Bundt pan produces.

The problem is that the Wilton pan has a 12-cup capacity, which works ok but is not the best size for this recipe. This cake looks better when baked in a 10-cup pan. Does anyone know where I can locate a light-colored 10-cup bundt pan that's cast aluminum and rather heavy? I've seen some Wilton 10-cup bundt pans online, but can't tell if they're light colored or not. The one I have is a gold-ish color, which I haven't seen elsewhere, and there is no info. online about their Performance Plus product line. This may be a product that they make especially for Wal-Mart stores. ???
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: NordicWare bundt pan annoyances by Suzie_Homemaker (Several times I've b...)
Wish I could help you out there---we do not have those products available here---when I return to the State I will give you my opinion---SORRY!!! I have used a regular 12 cup bundt pan--dark--and have had great results---do you grease/oil the pan before you put in the batter?? That makes a huge difference---I forego the flouring bit--works better for me--IMHO.

Would love to have a Walmart here--or something similar--those shopping charges are unreal!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: NordicWare bundt pan annoyances by Roxanne 21 (Wish I could help yo...)
I always use a pastry brush to grease every nook and cranny of the pan with Crisco. The original recipe doesn't say to flour the pan, but I floured the pan when I baked the cake this AM. I wasn't about to risk another flop. I made the cake on Sun. for Father's Day, but had a time getting it to unmold and when it finally did, a chunk of cake broke off. At least I got most of it out intact, though. One of the times I made the cake (for my DH's birthday last year), it stuck so badly that it was impossible to remove. Funny thing is that, since it was his b'day, I turned around and made another cake that same morning... and it unmolded perfectly. Go figure! Getting this cake to unmold is a hit-and-miss thing, I tell ya.

The cake might unmold just fine in my NordicWare pan if I flour it in addition to greasing it, but I like the lighter crumb produced by the Wilton pan. Does anyone know anything about the 10-cup Wilton Dimensions bundt pans? They cost under $28 at Amazon and come with a lifetime warranty, and they look like they're light-colored, but the pics don't show what color the interior of the pan is. For all I know, the interior might be dark.
  Re: Re: NordicWare bundt pan annoyances by Suzie_Homemaker (I always use a pastr...)
Well, the Wilton company was absoolutely no help. I called today to ask if the Wilton Dimensions bundt pan is light or dark, to which the company rep. told me that all of the Wilton bundt pans are dark and that all nonstick coatings are dark. Yeah, right. Here I just bought a Wilton Performance Plus bundt pan (and also 2 cake pans) at Wally World, and they have a light nonstick coating. Wal-Mart also sells Wilton Performance Plus springform pans and jelly roll pans, and they're all light.
  Re: Re: NordicWare bundt pan annoyances by Suzie_Homemaker (Well, the Wilton com...)
Suzie dear, I use Pam with Flour in my bundt pan...it a 12 cup though. Might I suggest that you visit Salvation Army Thrift Store or Goodwill Thrift Store. I found another bundt pan and it cost me $.99. You just might find your hearts desire there for next to nothing. A little scrubbing and voila!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: NordicWare bundt pan annoyances by bjcotton (Suzie dear, I use Pa...)
I suspect that the problem was that I wasn't flouring the pan (the recipe only says to grease it). I'll know after I bake the cake a few more times, LOL! I do know that at high altitude, cakes (and pizza) tend to stick to the pans. I have to grease (with Crisco) and flour my pizza pan, even though the recipe only says to spray it with PAM. I may resort to making a batch of homemade baker's grease. I've read that the combo of equal parts Crisco, oil and flour works great for bundt pans.

Meanwhile, I've decided not to buy any more Wilton products, due to the poor Customer Service I've received. Rather than just answering my question, the rep. kept going on and on about how all bundt pans are dark, and about how she bakes in a bundt pan all the time and never has any problems. All I wanted to know was if Wilton had any light-colored 10-cup bundt pans, and I find it exasperating to deal with people like her.

You're right that the thrift shop might have something.