How Does Your Garden Grow?
  Re: (...)
Hah! Hah I say! I checked my tomato plants and I have a Roma tomato about the size of a marble. I have little buds on my zucchini and yellow crook-necks and Santa Rosa plums about twice the size of a marble. Won't have many plums though, I trimmed the tree way back.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by bjcotton (Hah! Hah I say! I ...)
I have a couple of tomatoes...one is about the size of a tennis ball but it looks like something has already taken a bite. I have flowers on my squash but I didn't see if there were any babies yet. My eggplant hasn't grown AT ALL! Maybe it isn't getting enough sun...I don't know. Oh, and I have some baby jalapenos. I can't wait for them! I had two of them but something ate one. The corn is getting tall too...well, most of it...some don't get enough sun, I think.
Tammy
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by TwilightKitten (I have a couple of t...)
I've planted 6 jalapenos and 6 tams. They're only about 4" tall now, just getting started.

Billy
  Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by bjcotton (Hah! Hah I say! I ...)
Zucchini and cucumbers are out of control and growing all over the place! I'm glad I only planted 1 of each! Both are setting fruit. I went out of town for a few days and when I got back the tomato plants were so big they were growing out of the cage, one had fallen over. All of them have tomatoes. My bell pepper and okra plants seem to be growing slowly, but the bell pepper plants have blossomed. Nothing from the okra yet. Green beans and lima beans are trying to stand up to all the rain.

I also have a variety of herbs planted in containers on my deck, lemon balm, chives, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, marjoram, mint, parsley, and tarragon. All are overachievers!
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by spyce (Zucchini and cucumbe...)
Lucky you! My poor cucumber died...and my zucchini aren't looking so hot. My yellow squash is looking wonderful though...harvested my first one yesterday! YUM!

My tomatoes are looking great too but the only one that was red enough to eat had already been eaten by something else! Grrr!

My eggplant and bell pepper look like they might have grown a half an inch since I planted them a month ago...*sigh* We moved the garden this year, so I'm learning which areas are getting enough sun and which aren't.

I found some "wild" tomatillos. I grew them from seed YEARS ago, now they come up on their own...lol..but I still haven't eaten any. I just can't seem to get enough of them ripe at the same time to do anything with. Anybody have any recipe that call for just a couple tomatillos?
Tammy
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by TwilightKitten (Lucky you![img]/ubbt...)
My tomatoes have grown out of their cages. I put up metal fenceposts and covered with bird netting--they have grown thru the netting and are forming fruit out of the netting. I have tied them up to the fenceposts and the Brandywines are pulling on them mightly--lots of tomatoes--Brandywines, Black Krim, Cherokee Purples, yellow plums, celebrities, Green Zebras. Good year.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by TwilightKitten (Lucky you![img]/ubbt...)
Well if you get lucky and get at least three tomatillo's, you can halve this recipe from epicurious.com!

Shrimp and Tomatillo Quesadillas

2 red bell peppers
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Vegetable oil
6 9- to 10-inch-diameter flour tortillas
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups (packed) grated Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeños (about 8 ounces)
1 cup (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
6 medium tomatillos , husked, thinly sliced

Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Remove from heat. Enclose peppers in paper bag. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and seed peppers. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Set aside.

Preheat broiler. Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil. Place on baking sheet. Broil shrimp until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes. Cut shrimp lengthwise in half. Transfer to bowl.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil. Place 2 tortillas on 1 prepared baking sheet. Place 1 tortilla on second prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped cilantro over each tortilla, then 1/3 cup Monterey Jack cheese and 1/3 cup cheddar cheese. Arrange 8 tomatillo slices atop cheese on each tortilla, then bell pepper strips and shrimp, dividing equally. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese over shrimp on each tortilla, dividing equally. Top with remaining 3 tortillas, pressing lightly to adhere. Brush tops of tortillas with oil. Bake quesadillas until cheese melts and tortillas are crisp, about 10 minutes.

Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges and serve.

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
November 1997
The Arizona Kitchen, Litchfield Park AZ

I slice the shrimp in half lengthwise and then saute them in a little oil rather than broil them.
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by spyce (Well if you get luck...)
Thank you! That looks delicious!
Tammy
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by spyce (Well if you get luck...)
darn, I miss my tomatillos....that does sound good - guess I'll have to buy some.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How Does Your Garden Grow? by cjs (Damn, I miss my toma...)
Guess I'll just crawl away in embarrassment for my little garden that hasn't a thing ripe yet...except weeds. Here I thought I was getting out front with the growing...teach me to brag huh? Oh well!

Billy