Containers.
  Re: (...)
I am so sorry people, my mouth has me in a strangle hold. I cannot resist carrying on about containers. Please pitch in and tell me what you do for different containers. At one time I threatened to fill an antique night pot with stew, but they jacked up on me. I can't see the problem myself. Goodness knows, It would have been long distanced from greeblies, if indeed, it had ever been used. Then tipped to the sun after clorex and savage rinsing. No cracks. No chips, perfect. I suppose I shall have to get one for mini cyclomens. Instead. Oh well. But potties aside, what do you do for innovative presentation. I love cups and saucers, of a very superior kind, I love small flairing crystal dishes, and big ones. I like litters of lovliness, and something chunky, like a beer handle full of vege infused casserole. And a spoon. With a tumble of salad for picking, in the middle of the table. The container would be long narrow and s/s. What do you do, for a bit of fun, and why are the majority of plates round?
  Re: Containers. by vannin (I am so sorry people...)
I used a thunderbucket (a night time pottie-brand new, never been used) to serve Beef Burgundy in. It had two dippers in it, one was an old tin water dipper and the other one was one of those slotted scoops that you clean kitty litter with (also new of course). Some of the people were not amused . I was
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I believe you have your table presentations down! Just let your passion and enthusiasm be your guide. Watch out for ceramics or earthen vessels that you see at flea markets etc. They may have lead in them. Also, enamelware can crack or chip providing a good place for bacteria to grow. Give us some more ideas, please!

David
Do you have a variety of shot glasses Dale? I have the recipes for some new sauces (new to me anyway) to go with grilled meats/seafoods. You could make a batch and serve a shot glass of each with your meal.

Billy
  Re: Re: Containers. by bjcotton (Do you have a variet...)
Yes Billy I do, several bits and bobs and a lot of one type. Also got cute little white (60ml or so) lipped containers. (2 oz) Splendid for sauces. How about gravy boats for anything from casseroles to salad. Double handled soup coupes are adorable for just about anything, and the formal 120-150 ml size is a natural limit towards delicacy for more than one course. They are so pretty for a fruit salad with a 'spray' of grapes dribbling down to the saucer and orange zest holding mint tucked in. We seem to have forgotten all about the old fashioned desserts like flummery. But I think they still have their place. Small hotel pans are what no-one expects, or soup served in a small pot can produce a giggle. And so on, I guess it depends on your guest, what's in the cupboard and everyones sense of humour. ;Þ
  Re: Re: Containers. by vannin (Yes Billy I do, seve...)
Chinese spoons with the inseyest winseyest salad, topped with oysters or scollops or clams or mussells. Maybe 1/2 dozen, handles out on a starter plate. Maybe seeded cherry toms, with a wisp of smoked salmon peeping out in the centre.. Or a filling of cream cheese and a caper, or shellfish in one of those long narrow snakey olive dishes. How about a thermos at each place for their soup/chowder, set on a flat doilyed plate. Could put them out early. For a laugh how about newspaper packages of fish 'n chips. Clean paper inside of course and several containers of vinegar, chilli sauce, mustards, fresh lemon quarters, tomato sauce, all original containers. Find some truly bad taste Carltonware for crabcakes. You could throw a Hidifest. The person who turns up with the most hideous thing wins. No smells are allowed, but the judges decision not final, fight and arguments are encouraged.

Will someone please tell me to shut up.
  Re: Re: Containers. by vannin (Chinese spoons with ...)
How about one of those Morrocan steeple lidded casseroly things for each person with a corsage or nosegay for the ladies and a buttonhole for the gentlemen, tucked inside on a white doily or linen napkin. Has anyone else used glitter snaking it way down the centre of the table, looks ever so pretty if you are using candles particularly. Write each persons name on a place card with glue and dip it in glittery stuff. Perhaps a snip from the Bible. For a person who drives to fast it could be "oh woe is you, man of Tyre.."
  Re: Re: Containers. by vannin (How about one of tho...)
Well, alright then, I am going to sulk, no-one wants to play with me. Yah-boo sucks, and an exellent Irish whisky to you. You can have yours out of whatever is recognised as a whisky glass, now. I shall have mine from a medieval funnelled dish, purely for whisky, and delightful to the sip. So there.
  Re: Re: Containers. by vannin (Well, alright then, ...)
You poor girl, nobody to play with. You know I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but the other day I decided I wanted a little Cointreau, so poured about half a jigger into a rocks glass, got comfortable and took a sip. My word, I felt like I was having hot flashes (power surges) again. I have two shelves in my cupboard filled with a variety of booze and the overflow stuck here and there and don't particularly like the stuff beyond a sip now and then. The 800 lb gorilla discovered my Meyers Rum and it's almost gone now. When I hollered at him he said that by the time I used it up a tablespoon at a time it would have all evaporated anyway. I call that a rationalization for drinking my booze

Billy
  Re: Re: Containers. by bjcotton (You poor girl, nobod...)
hahahaha Billy, I think retailers call that shrinkage.