Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
  Re: (...)
I have been craving pineapple upside-down cake all week! Does anyone know if Cuisine at Home has a recipe for this in one of the back issues? I own every issue published, but I don't have a comprehensive index. Anyone know?
  Re: Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by AngelSong (I have been craving ...)
I have no idea where it came from, but I have the Comprehensive index for Issues 1-42 - I don't even have many of those mags...

The closest thing to a Pineapple Upsidedown cake is 34:36 - now here's the kicker - I have no idea what those nbrs. mean - maybe issue/page???? Anyway, it's called Pineapple upsidedown cake sundae. Maybe some of the newer issues will have one listed.

But, if you're craving here is an idea for you - I don't really like to suggest recipes I've not tried, but the gal who gave me this recipe is a baker whom I would trust to try her recipes for company untried. She is a great cook.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake - Variation

Using the skillet or other heavy round pan simply facilitates th3e flipping that has to happen at the end making is "Upside down"

Here's my favorite recipe--not your yellow-cake variety, but more flavor and interesting texture to go with the fruit.

Melt in the pan over medium heat: 1/2 c butter and 1 c light brown sugar

When the sugar is dissolved, arrange drained pineapple slices, a cup of pecan halves(flat side up), and maraschino cherries in the spaces between and inside the rings.

Cake batter:

1 c cake flour

1 tsp baking powder

4 eggs

1 c sugar

1 Tbs melted butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine cake flour and baking powder, set aside

Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks with melted butter and vanilla

Whip the whites until stiff but not dry, and gradually fold in the sugar, then the yolks then the flour.

Scrape the batter onto and covering the pineapple rings and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Remove from the oven and flip onto the serving plate and let sit with the pan on top for a few minutes so all the caramel and fruit/nuts slip onto the cake. Remove the pan and serve warm or cool. A sprinkling of rum over the top of the warm cake is pleasant, too. Garnish with whipped cream.

You can also make this individually by arranging the butter brown sugar and fruits in the bottom of ramekins or custard cups and baking for about 15 min or until done.

For another treat, make your favorite yellow cake recipe, using milk, or half and half for the liquid and lay pineapple rings on the top of the batter, and fill in the spaces with cherries and pecan halves and a light dusting of brown sugar, then bake as usual--the fruits and nuts sink inside, and you get "Pineapple Inside Out Cake" Drizzle with a brown sugar rum or vanilla icing, or caramel sauce
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com