Noodles
  Re: (...)
The breakcrumb pasta recipe you mentioned is like an old Italian one I found in an authentic Italian cookbook. You saute the olive oil and garlic and red pepper flakes and then add some anchovies that will melt down to nothing. Then you add this to the pasta and then put the breadcrumbs in the remaining olive oil and let is soak that up and pour that over the dish. This is a recipe where parmesan cheese is "totally inappropriate" as quoted in the recipe. My son and I can eat the whole dish!!
  Re: Noodles by Bethp (The breakcrumb pasta...)
Hi Beth, good to see you. I like the idea of adding anchovies. Besides that we LOVE them, it adds a touch of protein to the dish. Yum, I'm going to try this soon
Cynthia
Cis
Empress for Life
Hi Beth would you please post the recipe?
This recipe comes from a cookbook called "Naples at Table" by Arthur Schwartz.

In an 8" skillet warm 6 T. olive oil, 1-2 cloves garlic, lightly smashed & a big pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook until garlic us soft and remove. Add 1 can oil packed anchovies (drained)& smash them into the oil. They will dissolve quickly. Drain the cooked spaghetti and turn into the skillet with the anchovy oil. Toss well. Serve and toss 4-5 T. fine, dry bread crumbs in the oil left in the pan & sprinkle them on the spaghetti. (Cheese is totally inappropriate).
Enjoy!
  Re: Re: Noodles by Bethp (This recipe comes fr...)
Beth,
I have a cookbook 1000 Italian Recipes by Michele Scicolone, her recipe for Pici with garlic and bread crumbs calls for 1/2 c. freshly grated pecornio Romano. BUT looking again, it doesn't call for anchovies.. Maybe it depends on the region.... Being the cheese lover that I am, I couldn't exclude it!! LOL
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Noodles by Bizymomma (Beth,[br]I have a co...)
It is kind of a tradition that cheese is not served with pasta when there is fish involved. It's an unwritten rule of sorts.
Cynthia (raised in Brooklyn, by Italian wolves)
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Noodles by farnfam (It is kind of a trad...)
No cheese with dishes featuring seafood....

that's like saying white with fish/red with meat....

can you tell I am not a purist???

Well Beth, you did jar the memory banks here! I remember the anchovies now - I must make this again - it's been forever. And I'm sure every region will have another version based on their native ingredients. And every version will be just as tastey as the previous - just give us more to play with!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Noodles by cjs (No cheese with dishe...)
Maybe the no cheese and fish together is a legacy of hard times. Not having two proteins together. I love the history of food. Like the history of money in its various forms it gives such a window on the times read about. And the two are so intertwined. I have a reprinted book of 18th Century Cookery. Tomato is only mentioned as a catsup. Potato and peas are not mentioned, even though potatoes had been brought back by Raleigh in the previous century. Pity the cook served the leaves. Peas did not really become available until the French Court declared them delish., later in the century.

Last night we had lazy dinner of roasted turnips, taties, kumara, parsnip, carrots, onion and peas, with rich beef gravy. It was jolly good.
  Re: Re: Noodles by vannin (Maybe the no cheese ...)
Vannin - I was wondering where you live.

Beth
  Re: Re: Noodles by Bethp (Vannin - I was wonde...)
She lives in New Zealand, Beth. I am fortunate enough to be going to visit her for a month at the end of this year.

kumara is a sweet potato
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy