Mother's Day Barbecue
  Re: (...)
Hi. I'm hosting a Mother's Day barbecue for 12 people and I would welcome some recipes/menu ideas. Thanks!
  Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by alexsmom (Hi. I'm hosting a Mo...)
If you're doing barbecue then how about the Barbecue Pulled Pork from Issue 39? I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's gotten good reviews here. I plan to try it myself as soon as I can!

Barbequed Pork Rub - Issue 39 June 2003
For One 8-LB Pork Shoulder

Combine:
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup black pepper
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1 T. Dried Oregano
1 T. Dried Thyme
1 t. Cayenne

Coat:
1 8 lb. Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt)

Combine all rub seasonings.
Coat the shoulder with the rub, massaging into the meat.

Indirect heat: Grilling indirectly is for cuts of meat that take a long time to cook (it's like baking in the oven). Set up the grill so that half has fire and the other half does not. Cooking is done on the area where there is no fire underneath, but there’s still plenty of heat.
This can be done easily on both gas or charcoal grills. For a gas grill, simply turn one burner on medium-high, keeping the other burner turned off. For a charcoal grill, when the briquets have turned white, rake them to the sides and cook the meat in the middle of the grate.
Smoke: Whether you use a gas or charcoal grill, you'll need smoke for authentic barbecue flavor. Creating it on a charcoal grill is a no-brainer-- just add pieces of water soaked wood directly onto briquets. Aromatic woods like hickory, apple, mesquite, or cherry deliver plenty of that real barbecue flavor you want.
But gas grills are a different story. Ashes from the burning wood could clog the burners, so wrap pieces of dry wood in an aluminum packet shaped like a beggar’s purse—this allows the smoke to escape easily. Then put packet on grilling grate directly over the fire.

1. Place chunks of wood in a foil pack--use two layers. Bundle packet leaving a hole at the top so smoke can escape.
2. Coat shoulder with rub. No need to let it sit--it'll have plenty of time to absorb flavors on the grill.
3. Preheat one side of the grill to medium-high. Place smoke packet over the fire, drip pan under unlit side.
4. Place pork over drip pan and grill for 3 hours. Check every hour to make sure there's plenty of smoke.
5. Smoking takes 3 hours. Add wood packets as needed to keep plenty of smoke circulating.
6. Once smoking is complete, wrap pork in two layers of foil, crimping edges to seal in moisture. Return to grill: cook 2 hours.
7. After 2 hours, insert thermometer into thickest part of meat. You want to hit 180 degrees.
8. Keep foil around the meat and let rest off heat for 30 minutes. It's now ready for pulling with fork or fingers.

Don't worry about the red ring around the meat. It' not undercooked but rathter a natural reaction to the smoke.

Grilling for Pulled Pork:
Smoking: Before wrapping, smoke the shoulder for three hours for real pit barbeque flavor. Monitor this stage every hour to insure there's continual smoke. Make more packets and add them if needed.
Rotating: Rotate the meat three times for even cooking. Don't rotate anymore than this because the grill can lose too much heat each time the lid is opened.
Wrapping: Wrapping the pork shoulder in aluminum foil is not standard operating procedure for the true pitmeister, but it serves our purpose for several reasons. First, true barbecue is supposed to use only dry heat which concentrates flavor as moisture is taken away. But by wrapping, the natural meat juices are recycled back into the meat, creating plenty of moisture and flavor.
Second, wrapping shortens the cooking time. Smoking a shoulder using traditional methods can take up to ten hours, but this method cuts the time in half.
Finally, using this method is forgiving. Once wrapped, you can practically forget it. Cook to an internal temp of 180 degrees so the fat renders but pork remains juicy.

Root Beer BBQ Sauce

Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Total time: About 1 1/2 hours

Reduce:
1 2-liter bottle root beer

Add and Simmer:
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 T. Tabasco
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. black pepper

Finish with:
2 T. unsalted butter

Reduce root beer to 1 cup over medium heat in large saucepan (it takes about 1 hour).

Add vinegar, ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Simmer 20 minutes.

Finish with butter to give the sauce extra body and flavor.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by TwilightKitten (If you're doing barb...)
I fix this EVERY 4th of July! It is a family favorite! Don't let all the directions overwhelm you. It really isn't difficult! I usuallyy fix 2 pork shoulders and feed about 12-15 people with a bunch leftover! Be sure to fix the Root Beer BBQ Sauce too! You won't be sorry!!!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by Bizymomma (I fix this EVERY 4th...)
Pulled pork sounds lovely. Our barbies are different from yours. We put steaks and sausies, lamb chops, fish steaks, mussells, chicken pieces, pork chops, meatballs and so on ours. The only 'big' thing we have cooked was the whole lamb last Christmas.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by vannin (Pulled pork sounds l...)
Alex's Mom - have a look at the thread "Summer Salads" - a lot of us posted some real jewels!! All kinds of ideas for you'r M. day BBQ.

"Our barbies are different from yours. We put steaks and sausies, lamb chops, fish steaks, mussells, chicken pieces, pork chops, meatballs and so on ours." - Dale, not sure what you're saying here, this is what I cook on my grill also....?? Plus, once in a while a larger cut of meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by cjs (Alex's Mom - have a ...)
Now that is interesting Jean, you did read me right. Janis said they did things differently over there. Mostly ribs and larger cuts is what she said. I suppose it is regional, perhaps it is. It is here to a certain extent. But our country is small. Pick it up and put it in texas and it would be wandering around looking for signs of life. Any locals who saw it stumbling through the cactus would wonder who the tall skinny stanger was. A pitiful sight. It heartens me though that you do things pretty much the same. We do not use the range or scope of dressings, marinades and sauces you do though. Brining is something I first heard of from you, about three years ago.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by vannin (Now that is interest...)
I guess it depends on how large the family is - years ago, yes I had to fill the darn grate with food - but now that it's just R & me, the little chix breast looks very lonely...

As far as marinades and sauce - that's an area where I just love to have fun. Someone is always including a jar of something in my Christmas/B'day/etc. presents and it's fun figuring out how to use them as a sauce - chutneys, relishes, salad dressings, etc.

Brining - yes, I love brining!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by cjs (I guess it depends o...)
LOL Jean, me too. So much food. What does "filling the grate" mean. Here a grate is something to build a fire in. I know it means a lot of food though. We only had 3 kids, but their friends were always there.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by vannin (LOL Jean, me too. So...)
""filling the grate" - you know, the grate that lays across the top of the bbq grill that you lay the food to be grilled.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Barbecue by cjs (""filling the grate"...)
I'm such a dummy sometimes. I just figured out that alexsmom meant Alex's Mom. I tend to read things like that as a single word and think it must mean something to someone. Well, duh! My niece (Dana) and her husband (Eric) have an email address...dbatchelors. Their last name is Batchelor. It took me a while to figure out it meant "the batchelors." I never considered myself naive, so I must be just dumb

Anyway, alexsmom, welcome to CAH.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy