Question about smokers
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a smoker that they really like or would recommend? Or are they pretty much all the same?
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Question about smokers by mlucas1 (Does anyone have a s...)
I'm sorry, I'm on the road and my smoker isn't with me, and we can't remember the brand - it's the bright red bullet one smoker...does that tell you anything???? I love it!!

I can tell you more once I'm home...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about smokers by cjs (I'm sorry, I'm on th...)
I know a couple of people that have the Chief or Little Chief smokers. They usually use them for either salmon or venison (jerky). They are happy with them for that type of use.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Question about smokers by bjcotton (I know a couple of p...)
Goodness dear people, I read this and thought it was yet another smoking (as in nicotine) thread. I was prepared to do battle. How typical of this lovely place it is not. I am a smoker, who distances myself from others. Except in MY office. If they want to be there. Then it My rules.

I didn't understand the principles of smoking food, until about 25 years ago. I have never done it, but have enjoyed many smoked fish since then. Straight of the sea, to the boat to the smoker. A clean on the way. It does bring the squid in. I do think there is nothing better.
I got a smoker for my 40th bday. My friend tried to convince me that i should be getting a charcoal one and I insisted on the electrical one. I am not up to babysitting anything for 4+hours unless it is my future grandchildren. Anyways...we did a test...her smoker and mine...did tri-tip(my friend was trying to convince me that mine will never produce as much flavor as hers),...and GUESS WHAT...BLIND TEST with our friends and my tri-tip won...the easiest thing...put wood in... plug it in...and open it in about 5 hours...DONE...I absolutely love it. My brand is Char-Broil Electric Smoker. I always smoke on applewood..tried others but did not like the flavor as much. has a water bowl on the bottom so the meat comes our really juicy.

HOpe that helps
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, and I love it. It's a little pricey but well worth it if you are going to use it often. This smoker has two cooking levels so you can smoke a chicken on one level and ribs or something on the next. You can also use it for regular grilling. For occasional use, Brinkmann and Char-Broil have smokers that are under $100, Those can be set up for regular grilling as well. Before I got the smoker, I used my Weber Kettle grill as a smoker. That requires a lot of attention. You have to monitor the temp on all of them except the electric smokers so that's something to consider. I love tending the grill so the electric smoker was not an option for me.

I also have a Cameron's stovetop smoker which has provided me with years of service and deliciously smoked food! I use this in the winter when it's to cold to consider cooking outside.
Thanks for the in put everyone! Now I have a starting point at least.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]