The Farm
  Re: (...)
These pictures show about 1/6th of the Truck Farm where my sis lives outside of Portland, OR. The Green houses in the first picture are used for fancy baby greens supplied to local grocers throughout the winter. The second is the owner fertilizing prior to planting.

[Image: TheFarm-1.jpg]

[Image: TheFarm-4.jpg]

[Image: TheFarm-2.jpg]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: The Farm by bjcotton (These pictures show ...)
Geez, Billy, and I thought I had a nice little plot of mixed greens. That's one big operation.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The Farm by Lorraine (Geez, Billy, and I t...)
Wow, I love it. Does Little sis get to nick a lettuce or two?

We have a 21year old with a goodly number of glasshouses here. He started when he was 16 with an unused plastic house on his parents property. He sowed, nurtured and harvested all himself, and borrowed the family van to sell in the area. And grew and grew, and expanded and expanded. He employed both his parents by the time he was short of his 18th birthday. And moved into glass. He does hydroponics as well.

Isn't that fantastic, kids are so marvelous. We live in a produce area, Pukekohe/Ramarama/Aririmu too. These places are very intensely farmed. I can only guess at the work that goes into the place you have shown us Billy.

Lorraine has canning, (we call it bottling) in her profile interests. I did that for many years, but not now when I have the biggest kitchen in christiandom. I started the season with pick your own tomatoes, and moved on to the beetroot. Fruits, jams, jellies, and suchlike followed. By which time the grapefruit and lemons, poor mans oranges were at their peak for marmalade, thick, chunky, jellies with 3 wisps of rind curling gently, shining through the clarity. Happy days. Sigh.
  Re: Re: The Farm by vannin (Wow, I love it. Doe...)
This farm grows a variety of lettuces, green onions, radishes, edible flowers, leeks, turnips, etc., a fairly extensive crop. He's always telling my sis', Marilee, to just go to the cool room and take what she wants. She won't do it though. I'd eat him out of house and home. I occasionally cook things for the owner and his wife..they are very nice people. I make him a carrot cake with pecans since he's allergic to walnuts.

I once asked him if he had some basil I could have. He pointed to this big field and said, "See that? That's basil, take all you want!"

Billy
  Re: Re: The Farm by bjcotton (This farm grows a va...)
"That's basil, take all you want!" " - O.K., BillyJ, it's time to adopt this old broad!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Farm by cjs ("That's basil, take ...)
Yes Billy, adopt me too. I am an orphan desperately needing a home. The middle of the basil patch would be nice.
  Re: Re: The Farm by vannin (Yes Billy, adopt me ...)
Lorraine is sending me some Japanese basil seeds. I'm going to plant them and as they go to seed, share as I can. Not that I'm going to let the summer go by without teasing all of you because I have some and you don't

Billy
  Re: Re: The Farm by bjcotton (Lorraine is sending ...)
Shiso, Billy, shiso!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The Farm by Lorraine (Shiso, Billy, shiso!...)
You do and you'll clean it up! I thought you said it was Japanese basil or sorta kinda.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Farm by bjcotton (Lorraine is sending ...)
I used to grow Shiso - I liked it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com