Culinary Group - Needs Spaghetti Sauce
  Re: (...)
Our culinary group at church will be making spaghetti sauce next week. Does anyone have a flavor-filled versatile spaghetti sauce that could be used for spagetti, chicken parmesan, maybe even lasagne and/or pizza.

The group only meets for 2.5 hours and the cooking levels vary, but its mostly beginners so we don't want it too complicated and need it to be ready in 30 minutes or so.

Next month is an Asian theme. So we are looking at Stir-frys and an asian salad. So if anyone has a good asian salad please post. Thanks.
  Re: Culinary Group - Needs Spaghetti Sauce by rhetta1 (Our culinary group a...)
The simplest recipe I can think of is one I have adapted from COOK's Illustrated.

Just open a bunch of cans (depending upon how much you want) of diced tomatoes with herbs already in the can. Drain some of the juice off then add to a pan with sauteed onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil and reduce the tomatoes until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper according to needs--remember the salt needed for the final product---you don't want it too salty.

I don't have specific amounts--I kinda just put it together and is really simple but tasty!!

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!!

I will think about the Asian meal idea---Jean posted a wonderful Asian salad recipe a little while ago--I'll see if I can find that for you.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
here's another for you to consider. This first one is from a Heart Healthy book I use quite often, the second is the tweeking I've done with it and in larger quantity.

MARINARA SAUCE

Recipe By :Choices for a Healthy Heart
Serving Size : 8

28 ounces plum tomatoes -- canned, diced
2 T. tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried basil & black pepper
1 T. olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar

In a med. pan, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, pepper.
Simmer 20 min.
DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. (just let is simmer with no lid.)
Stir in olive oil & vinegar; simmer 40 min. more.

Alternate amt:
8 lbs. tom.
1/2 c. + 1 T. paste
2 1/4 tsp: oregano, basil & blk. pepper
2 T. oil
1 1/4 tsp. vinegar
6-8 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup brown sugar

On this one, save the vinegar and oil for adding to sauce also.

Yield:
"4 1/2 cups"

Serving Ideas : For a quick last-minute meal, serve over pasta.

NOTES : This is also an excellent sauce to use on pizzas.

Times to cook the sauce? Cook for as long as you'd like - the second timing (40 minutes) can be shorter or longer. When you see the consistency you like for what you will use it for - thicker for pizza sauce, thinner for sauce for pasta - that's when you remove it from the stove.

One more hint, if you have leftovers of the sauce, and want to use it for pizza, just put back to cooking down a little more on the stove.

As far as Asian dishes go - you've opened Pandora's box!! I love cooking Asian...will post separately for you to think about. What a fun group you have with your church!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Both of Jeans look good. I like to add a little chicken stock and white wine to mine and then simmer and reduce. It adds another dimension and complexity.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Culinary Group - Needs Spaghetti Sauce by Old Bay (Both of Jeans look g...)
...or red wine (so much you can do with a sauce like this!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Culinary Group - Needs Spaghetti Sauce by cjs (here's another for y...)
These look great. I will forward these on to see if I get some great feedback from the leader. I'm going to really push for it.