Breakfast Torte
  Re: (...)
Here it is, along with the notes. This is great.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Breakfast Torte, Grand Rapids First Joseph's

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 Lg Eggs
1 Tbsp Chives -- chopped
1 Tbsp Parsley -- chopped
3 Tbsps Butter
3 Clove Garlic -- minced
1 1/2 Lbs Spinach
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Sheets Puff Pastry -- prepared
24 Ounces Swiss Cheese -- grated
1 Pound Ham -- diced
5 Whole Roasted Red Pepper -- seeded
Egg Wash -- as needed
Salt And Pepper -- as needed

In a bowl. whisk eggs, chives, parsley and a pinch each salt and pepper.

Melt butter in a skillet and cook eggs to a loose scramble. Cool and reserve.

Spray 9" springform pan with non-stick pan spray. Fit a puff pastry sheet on the bottom and up the sides.

Layer the filling - half portions of each: eggs, spinach, ham, cheese, peppers and repeat.

Fold over any over-hanging pastry then cover the top with a second sheet of pastry. Brush with egg wash.

Refridgerate for at least one hour.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush pastry once more with egg wash and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until golden brown and crisp.

Allow to rest for 15 minutes after removing from the oven then cut and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If using canned roasted red bell peppers, rinse well and dry with paper towels.

Be sure to let those guys rest a bit out of the oven before you unmold. Helps to recongeal the cheese and prevent pancaking. Last week I got in a hurry, turned a couple out too early and they went flat. Client still ate them and thought they were delicious. Around here you can't miss with cheese, meat and buttery pastry.

Ruth: I can't speak for Tom, but I would saute the garlic in the butter, then add the eggs. The cream I would whisk into the 12 eggs before cooking, and the red peppers are already cooked by the roasting process. The spinach I would leave raw. If you cook the spinach first, 1 1/2 pounds will reduce to about a largish cup, enough for 1 layer.

Ruth's right - incorporate the cream into the egg and leave the spinach raw (althought, at times, I have wilted with a touch of truffle oil for a bigger flavor, but only one layer). This is one of those recipes that actually holds up well to some tinkering. Switch the cheese, leave out the spinach, add bacon and leave out the ham, leave out the meat and add in artichokes or eggplant, etc. When I have to make a huge amount of these (150 service or more) I used canned roasted red peppers - I see no reason why you can't.

The thing to remember when you see a recipe like this and don't know what to do with ingredients because the instructions are vague or non-existant, just focus upon what will give that particular ingredient the greatest chance at producing maximum flavor in the context of the dish. In this case, slightly saute the garlic to boost its flavor by taming the raw bitterness with heat, roast the raw pepper to enhance its natural flavor and mellow out the acid notes, combine the egg and cream to fully incorporate the fats to add body and cohesiveness.

As to freezing, I haven't done it. Freezing is not friendly to puff dough. The only way I might freeze it is as a raw product. But then that would miss the point of what you are trying to do.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Breakfast Torte by bjcotton (Here it is, along wi...)
Looks good, Billy! Thanks for posting. Sure wish I had this recipe a few weeks ago when I needed a big make-ahead breakfast for a bunch of teenage boys!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Breakfast Torte by TwilightKitten (Looks good, Billy! T...)
OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Billy---you're killing me!!! QUIT!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Breakfast Torte by Roxanne 21 (OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! ...)
This is one of the best brunch dishes I've made in a long time. Our mutual friend, Tom, who gave us this recipe is one hell of a chef in presentations also - all around a great chef and man.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breakfast Torte by cjs (This is one of the b...)
A thorough going beauty of a recipe. Thank you.