Dinner #5 Review
  Re: (...)
I loved the brisket! I was indeed very tasty and fork tender! I could only find a 5# brisket, so I cut it in half...should have fixed the whole thing. There wasn't one morsel left!!! I loved the sauce, it wasn't too sweet, too "vinegary"...just right! I found throwing away the mirepoix to almost be sinful, and ate a few bites before decided to throw it in with some sauteed zucchini and squash!

I really liked the potatoes as well! I couldn't find small red ones so I used some gourmet petite yellows. They tasted lovely, just fell apart. I loved the taste of the fresh chives/parsley. I will definitely make these again soon!

I didn't fix dessert...nor the asparagus. I love asparagus, but it's not one of the most liked veggies with my men! So zucchini it was!

Bon Appetite!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Dinner #5 Review by Bizymomma (I loved the brisket!...)
The brisket was a big hit here too. 2 1/3 lbs was the biggest one I could get. When it was all done, my son looked at it and said, "uh, you have a few more of those, right?" It was enough for the 4 of us but no leftovers! Oh, and loved the sauce!

We all loved the Rissole Potatoes! They were delicious in the gravy, but I have to agree with Billy that their delicate flavor was masked by it. These are my favorite potatoes, btw....and I forgot to add the herbs!

The asparagus salad was definitely different, but tasty. I don't know that I'd make it again though. Asparagus is my favorite veggie, and it just doesn't need all that dressing up, IMO. Besides, I like it hot!

And once again no dessert for me which I guess was ok since we ended up eating so late anyway! I haven't made a dessert in a while so I think I'm going to have to make something soon...
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by TwilightKitten (The brisket was a bi...)
Now, maybe Jean won't holler at me again

Well, dinner was a success! The Beer Braised Brisket was wonderfully tasty and tender. All the flavors married very well. I didn't remove the veggies before I used the beurre manie to thicken the broth. Altogether a rich, full flavored dish!

The Rissole potatoes I feel were wasted with such strong flavors from the beef. A milder flavored main dish would go better with them in my opinion. I tasted them before serving them and they were in fact delicious, but their flavor was hidden by the Brisket.

The spinach was very good, but again needed a main dish with less bold flavors.

I would definitely fix each dish again, but would make some other sides to go with the brisket and a different main to go with these sides.

The store didn't have any parsley or chives so I used minced garlic and cilantro for the potatoes...still very good.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by bjcotton (Now, maybe Jean won'...)
I just remembered that I won't be able to participate in the next dinner. I won't be home, I'll be house and dog sitting for my little sis near Portland, OR. They are going to the California/New Mexico border and ride 4-wheelers in the sand dunes. It'll be just me and 3 dogs. I'll be able to talk with everyone on their computer, but not able to fix the meal.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by bjcotton (Now, maybe Jean won'...)
Great recipe for beef lovers!!! It was very tender--could cut with a fork and the sauce/gravy was extremelt tender. I did find a 2 pound brisket--followed the directions exactly and it is a winner. DH loves this type of comfort food and it will be made again, for sure.

Instead of the rissole potatoes, I just roasted some roasting potatoes along with carrots and plain asparagus. Used the parsley/chive combination as in the potatoes--just enough to finish the dinner. The flavors were not lost in the meat--I thought it was a nice balance.

Dessert was the lemon tartlet recipe in Issue 32, page 39. Fun recipe to make, a little different from the usual lemon meringue pie---although that would have been great with this dinner!!!--- I made the small ones--perfect portion after a little bit of a break.

NICE dinner everyone----OKAY---#6/ May 8---Jean--you're on the road--anything striking your fancy??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by Roxanne 21 (Great recipe for bee...)
Just a suggestion, with Cinco de Mayo right there, maybe we want to do Dinner #6 May 8 with a Mexican theme? There's an issue with some Rick Bayless recipes in it.
Duh, Jean already suggested this, so lets go for it, whadddyasay??
ps planning brisket(had to get chuck) for Tuesday, will report soon
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by farnfam (Just a suggestion, w...)
Which issue has Rick Bayless recipes Cynthia?
I'm all for that!
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by Bizymomma (Which issue has Rick...)
I'm not Cynthia, but it's Issue 39.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by TwilightKitten (I'm not Cynthia, but...)
Thanks Tammy!
  Re: Re: Dinner #5 Review by Bizymomma (Thanks Tammy!...)
I just looked over the Rick Bayless article in Issue 39...Tostadas! They look sooo good, especially the Shrimp Seviche one....yummy! I'm definitely in for this one!
Tammy