Lima (or Butter) Beans
  Re: (...)
Talking of Lima Beans got me to thinking of a bean dish I haven't made forever - and we all love it, maybe someone else will too - I love Limas.

* Exported from MasterCook *

SURREY HILL BEANS

Recipe By :Carol Boyce, 1970s

1 can pork & beans -- (28 oz.)
1 can kidney beans -- (16 oz.)
1 can butter (or lima)beans -- (16 oz.)
3/4 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. vinegar
2 onions -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
8 slices bacon

Drain off most of the liquid from each can of beans. Place beans in large mixing bowl. Combine the next four (catsup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and vinegar) ingredients. and add to bean mixture. Sauté onions and garlic. Cut bacon in small pieces and add to the onion mixture, fry, and drain off 3/4 of the fat. Put in casserole and bake 1-1/2 hours at 350.

NOTES : Dad used to travel with Tom Boyce to coal mines while they worked together at FMC. Carol Boyce and I would meet them at the S.F. airport on Friday nights invariably about midnite. Well, we had been in the bar so long waiting for them, we were ready to hit the 'City' and party - the men were ready to crash.
-----

I have this recipe in the Family Favorite's book, so excuse the personal note...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by cjs (Talking of Lima Bean...)
I did not have the slightest clue that butter beans and lima beans are the same---is that for real??? There are tons of butter beans here--haven't tried because for 14 years I have been looking for limas----who knew DUHHH!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by Roxanne 21 (I did not have the s...)
Well, I've always used them interchangeably (a word?) but, according to my FLC, in the south (U.S.) dried limas are referred to as butter...and if they are mottled with purple, they're called calico or speckled butter beans.

More than you ever wanted to know, eh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by cjs (Well, I've always us...)
My dad loved the big dried white butter beans. We would soak them overnite, saute' some fat back in a big pot, stir in a chopped yellow onion until moist and golden, add pork broth ( if we had any --otherwise water), a stalk of celery cut in half, and then the beans. Adjust salt and black pepper. They were the only things I liked "cooked to death". Dash of worcestershire to the pot and serve over cornbread. Daddy loved them--me?--twice a year.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by Old Bay (My dad loved the big...)
A few years ago I searched and searched for butter beans. Couldn't find them anywhere. Someone finally told me large limas were the same thing...didn't believe them until I cooked them up.

When we were kids we had them served either with or over fried potatoes with cornbread. Next to fried okra, fried potatoes (really browned) are my favorite veggie. Pinto beans are good over fried potatoes too, with jalapeno cornbread and chow chow.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by bjcotton (A few years ago I se...)
Now let me ask you...are these beans green? The limas I had as a kid were a pale green. Blech, they had a nasty taste and texture...blech, blech, blech. Can you tell I hated them???
Tammy
  Re: Re: Lima (or Butter) Beans by TwilightKitten (Now let me ask you.....)
We used to have broad beans as kids. I have since learned they should be peeled, but the outer casing is a bit iffy. But we still ate them. Because my grandfather grew them and my grandmother cooked them. They are a pale green peeled. Jean, I love personal little comments, for me they are the thickening in the stew. And how long do dried beans last? Must be a while, cowboys ate them I believe.