Dinner Rolls Issue 50
  Re: (...)
Anybody else make these yet? I made them for the first time tonight, and they were very good! I didn't change much, but I did use instant yeast instead of active dry, so I added the yeast into the flour instead of proofing it. I also kneaded the dough in a stand mixer instead of by hand. It was sticky!

Anyway, these were excellent, and I will definitely be making them again. Although I am going to try the King Arthur Soft Dinner Roll recipe next time to compare.
Tammy
  Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by TwilightKitten (Anybody else make th...)
Hello TwilightKitten. I just joined today and was looking for a recipe for dinner rolls in the April 2005 issue of Cuisine at home. I was wondering if your recipe is the one I'm looking for. Would you be kind enough to post the recipe for me. I would be grateful. Thank you.
Kev
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by kev40903 (Hello TwilightKitten...)
Welcome,kev! These are the rolls from the April 2005 Issue. I will post the recipe later...hopefully tonight.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by TwilightKitten (Welcome,kev! [img]/u...)
Dinner Rolls
This is a sticky, soft dough so expect your hands to get messy as you knead. Resist adding too much flour while kneading—it’ll make the rolls tough. Space the rolled dough on the baking sheets close enough so they “rub shoulders” with their neighbors as they rise. This will help keep the sides of the rolls soft.
Makes: 35-45 Rolls (2 ½-3”)
Total Time: About 3 ½ hours

PROOF:
2 packages active dry yeast (4 ½ tsp)
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
Pinch of sugar

WHISK TOGETHER; ADD YEAST MIXTURE TO:
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup sugar
½ cup canola or corn oil
2 T. table salt

STIR IN; ADD, KNEAD, AND LET RISE:
6-7 cups all-purpose flour

Proof yeast with sugar in water for 5-10 minutes, or until it “blooms” or swells.

Whisk eggs, sugar, oil and salt together in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture; whisk to combine.

Stir 3 cups of flour into the egg mixture using a wooden spoon. Add more flour, ½ cup at a time; you may not need it all. When dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a floured work surface and knead by hand.

Knead until dough is smooth but still soft, adding flour a little at a time if it is too sticky. Place dough in a bowl coated with nonstick spray. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1-1/2 hours.

Punch down dough and gather into a ball. With floured hands, shape pieces of dough into balls. (For dinner rolls, make them a bit larger than a golf ball. For cocktail buns, shape them into ping-pong ball size. Hamburger buns should be slightly smaller than a baseball.) Arrange on greased baking sheets about 1/2” apart. Cover with a towel and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake rolls 25-30 minutes, or until golden, then top as desired. Cool slightly before serving—if you can wait that long!

Topping it off:
Immediately after baking, brush the rolls with melted butter, then sprinkle with a topping. Choose one or several for variety.

Grated Parmesan Cheese
Toasted Fennel, Sesame, or Caraway Seeds
Poppy Seeds
Equal Parts Dried Dill, Sugar, and Kosher Salt
Cinnamon-Sugar
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by kev40903 (Hello TwilightKitten...)
Welcome Kev. I'm glad you could join us. Hopefully you'll join in our dinner club.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by TwilightKitten (Dinner Rolls[br]This...)
TwilightKitten, thank you so much for posting the recipe. They are rising as we speak. I will let you know how they turn out.
Kev
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by bjcotton (Welcome Kev. I'm gl...)
Hi Billy, thank you for the nice welcome. I would love to join your dinner club. As I am new to this forum, how does it work? Kev
Kev
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by kev40903 (Hi Billy, thank you ...)
Welcome kev, a description of the Dinner Parties is posted under Better Late than Never, so rather than repeat that here, just check there.
Hope you'll join us
Cynthia
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by kev40903 (TwilightKitten, than...)
Well, they just came out of the oven and I couldn't wait to try them. Unfortunately, I think I did something wrong... they weren't as fluffy as when my friend made them...I was afraid of adding too much flour and so I think I put in less than the six cups suggested. Also, I think I messed up the yeast maybe the water wasn't warm enough. I will just have to try again and add more flour next time. Thanks again for the recipe.
Kev
  Re: Re: Dinner Rolls Issue 50 by kev40903 (Well, they just came...)
Hi. I'm a newbie, both to this message board and to the Cuisine at Home magazine [just received my 1st issue the other day ]. I'm a SAHM who loves to cook and bake, and was wondering if someone could tell me how the Cuisine at Home editors measure flour when testing a recipe. Do they weigh it, use the "spoon-and-sweep" method, or what? Also, does anyone own one of the scales that Cuisine at Home tested and recommended in the latest issue? I own a small digital scale that I like, but I'm thinking about buying a larger one.

Thanks.