Post Olympic & Holiday - What's for Dinner 2/26 - 3/4
Big Grin    
The Holidays are over and tonight the Olympics are closing.  I'm guessing the winter blahs have taken us all over, as has the new job and adjusting to a new lifestyle.  I hope we can all get back together again and share.  I know full well that I cannot replace Jean, but I'd like to honor her by keeping her pet project going.  Maybe by being more active we can attract lurkers and new members?

So what's on the menu for tomorrow?  Plans, life events, kids, family?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Post Olympic & Holiday - What's for Dinner 2/26 - 3/4 by Harborwitch (The Holidays are ove...)
Well, first of all, I'm going through some health stuff right now. The stress of our current situation seems to be catching up to me and I was informed by my doctor a month ago, that it was time to take care of me. I have been working at following a lower carb diet for the past month and trying to work in 30 to 60 minutes of exercise every day. So, our dinners have consisted of some kind of protein and a salad or roasted fresh vegetables. Yes, I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but always regret it since it feels so much better to eat less bread and pasta. I really miss Trixxee, who has been my inspiration for a very long time and always has great recipes to share.

Tonight, we had grilled chicken, basted with a homemade Asian grill sauce, and steamed baby bok choy with oyster sauce.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Post Olympic & Holiday - What's for Dinner 2/26 - 3/4 by Harborwitch (The Holidays are ove...)
Huge points on taking care of yourself!  You've been going through so much Maryann!  Heart  Your dinner last night sounds really good!  I've been meaning to ask, how's Charlie?  Opie sends "woof".

I'm battling my gut issues again, but happy to report that my blood pressure is much lower than it was at the golf course!  The doc. says it could be just being near the water, or less stress.  I'm supposed to be getting a referral to a GI doc.
Sharon, I'm sorry you are having gut issues again! Not sure if this will help or not, but a close friend of mine found out she has a sensitivity to casein, which is in dairy products. She is feeling much better now, but it's sure hard to give up cheese.

Dinner tonight is grilled rib-eye, asparagus, and 1/2 of a baked sweet potato.

Charlie is doing much better! He's so happy he actually seems to smile and even seems more active. He is loving his new diet, especially the chicken that I cook for him in the Instant Pot. It's melt in your mouth tender. I mix in some brown rice, sweet potato or pumpkin, sometimes cooked green veggies, and give it to him warm with some of the broth over it. He likes cooked ground beef also, especially with cooked carrots or green beans. I need to buy him some kind of chewy bones though because now that he is not eating dry dog food and biscuits, his mouth is not as clean.
Maryann

Thanks Maryann.  My new PA thinks it might be a wheat allergy.  I'm not sure what the heck is going on, I got a letter today about the referral, should happen in a week or two.

We had good intentions for today but we had to take notarized documents over to the car dealer (2 hour drive away) and go through putting me on the loan.  We are now the proud owners of a 2005 PT Cruiser - a PURPLE one!  The poor old van was ready to leave us stranded.  

So tonight, in spite of our good intentions . . . Bob had leftover Italian Sausage & Grapes over Polenta and I had a salad.  Tomorrow is going to actually be a meal!
Sharon, have you read the book, "Wheat Belly"? I have it on my kindle and can loan it to you through Amazon's website for two weeks. Let me know if you want it and I will find out how to do it. Haven't done it for a while, but it's not difficult as I recall.

I am picking up Alyssa from school today, so I made her favorite dinner, Ginger and garlic drumsticks in the instant pot, then they get broiled and glazed for a few minutes to brown them up. Brown and white rice on the side along with asparagus, which she has now decided that she likes. Wink
Maryann

Thank you, Maryann.  I am waiting for my GI appointment before I make any major readjustments again.  I will let you know.  

Those drumsticks sound good - could they be done with thighs?  Asparagus is our favorite veggie. Smile

Tonight is a gluten free pizza and a salad.  I will take lactase before the blue cheese dressing and Zantac before bed.  Poor Opie is suddenly feeling the same way.  I swear to gawd - 20 minutes after I gave him a Pepcid this morning he pooped it out!  Bob insisted that he urped it . . . I reminded him that urp comes from the other end of the dog!  LOL
WOW! The local grocery had beef tenderloin on sale a while back.  I cut steaks, a nice chunk for a "wellington", a piece for a carpaccio and had some bits left over for "beef tips".  Tonight I sauteed mushrooms, shallots, garlic, carrots & celery and red ionion.  Deglazed with red wine & beef broth, then dusted the beef chunks with rice flour/salt & pepper sauteed quickly in butter & rice bran oil.  Combined with the mushroom mixture and served over mashed potatoes and with peas alongside.  OMG!
Your dinner sounds delicious, Sharon. We had taco salad (I skipped the taco) last night for dinner. It was so good, I think we will do a repeat tonight.

I'm going to start going through back issues of Cuisine to look for meal ideas.
Maryann

Information    Re: Post Olympic & Holiday - What's for Dinner 2/26 - 3/4 by Harborwitch (The Holidays are ove...)
Last night was a WINNER!  I cooked a smallish spaghetti squash sous vide with just salt & pepper.  

While it was cooling I made an Alfredo sauce with sauteed onions, white wine, heavy cream & parm. Seasoned with salt & pepper (forgot the nutmeg  Angry)  Tossed in a diced sous vide cooked chicken breast.  When the squash was cooled I pulled the strands and mixed the the Alfredo mixture, topped with more parm and put back in the oven until bubbly and browned.

OMG!  One of the best meals . . . other than the Beef tips.