Dinner 01/08/18 to 01/14/18

A little late - but what's for dinner?

We smoked two huge boneless pork butts this weekend.  Tonight we'll have some more pulled pork with Carolina Red sauce, Tomato Pie (gluten free crust) and Karin's Spicy Cole Slaw.  

Tomorrow the rest of the pork goes in the freezer!  Burp. Tongue
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Dinner 01/08/18 to 01/14/18 by Harborwitch (A little late - but ...)
This morning I prepped two big pans of stuffed cabbage rolls to be cooked off later. I wanted to make enough to give a casserole to my in-laws and one for my dad. They all love cabbage rolls.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I will be looking for the FedEx truck!  That sounds so good!  I am still contemplating tonight's dinner - may have to go freezer diving.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Maryann

Last night I cheated with Bertollis (sp?) Chicken Alfredo, which is pretty good.  Tonight, I got a deli fried chicken dinner from the good grocery deli.  Bad call.  The new storefurther out has drawn clientele so that our little local store has lost quality.  Fried chicken was SUPER  dry.  Won’t make that mistake again!

My only defense is too much work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
One of our residents came over last night, he had an issue and after discussing it all we got onto the subject of beer.  He works at Rogue River Brewery which is a famous brewery and distillery just up the road.  We all had a great discussion and he's a very nice young man!  He brought Bob over a few different kinds of beers to try!

After he left we threw a beautiful Ribeye in the "bucket" and some bakers in the over.   Brussels sprouts with balsamic were the 3rd thing on the plate.  Yummy dinner.

I think we are going to Newport to the aforementioned Brewery and then over to the other side of the harbor to pick up some clams and maybe some other seafood.  I have a recipe for "personal paellas" that I want to try tonight.
Sounds like it just keeps getting better, Sharon. Smile

We just had some l/o cabbage rolls tonight. Even better on the second night.

This afternoon I made a huge pot of stock from turkey and chicken bones that had accumulated in the freezer. The whole family saves bones for me, so I rarely have to buy broth for soup. I was supposed to take my sister to lunch for her birthday today to Miss Molly's Tea Room and Gift Shop, (http://www.missmollys.net/) but unfortunately she came down with the cold/flu/whatever that Ron and I had last week. So, tomorrow I will take her some Italian Wedding Soup and we'll have to go to lunch another time.
Maryann

Stuffed cabbage is always better on the 2nd day . . . or the third.

Sadly we got a late start for a 90 minute tour of the brewery and when we got to the seafood market we learned that it is not open on Wednesdays.  It was a lovely drive through the harbor and we got out to take some pictures.  I love the smell of the salt air!  All of the boats are loading up their crab pots, with luck the season will open next week. 

Last night was an ode to Jean, pulled pork pizza with Carolina Red BBQ sauce and hot banana pepper rings.  It was really good.
Crab season! I'm so jealous!
Maryann

The season has been delayed this year because the crabs were scrawny and now because of a biotoxin in the water - hopefully next week!

This was dinner last night!  Absolutely wonderful!  Tonight we are having the leftovers with corn muffins I'm cooking in the "bucket".  I have to say that I love J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, he is an amazing Chef and his sous vide recipes are flawless.

Crispy Braised Chicken Thighs With Cabbage and
Bacon
J. KENJI LÓPEZ-ALT
Some people have fallback recipes. The ones that they pull out again and again when they can't think of
something new to make. I've got a couple of those, but I also have fallback techniques—basic blueprints for
constructing a dish that can be infinitely variable depending on the specific ingredients you use. The main
elements are instantly recognizable, but they're placed in a novel and thrilling context that gives them new life,
resulting in dishes that are simultaneously exciting and comforting. Braising chicken with crispy skin is one of
those techniques. This time, I'm pairing it with cabbage and bacon.

2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (6 to 8 thighs; 1.15kg)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
8 ounces (225g) slab bacon or salt pork, cut into 1/2- by 1/4-inch lardons (I used our homemade bacon)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 6 ounces; 170g)
1 pound finely shredded cabbage (about 1 medium head; 450g)
2 tablespoons (30ml) whole grain mustard
1/2 cup (120ml) apple cider vinegar
3 cups (700ml) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
3 tablespoons sugar
2 bay leaves
6 sprigs thyme
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
%*3&$5*0/4
1. Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Season chicken
generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart straight-sided sauté pan over
medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook without
moving it until well browned and crisp, about 8 minutes total, lowering heat if it starts to
smoke excessively. Flip chicken and brown lightly on second side, about 3 minutes. Transfer
chicken to a large plate and set aside.
2. Add bacon to pan and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion and
cook, stirring, until softened and starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add cabbage and
cook, stirring, until softened and starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add mustard and
vinegar and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken
stock, sugar, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs and bring to a simmer.
3. Nestle chicken back into sauté pan, leaving the skin above the liquid but submerging most
of the meat. Transfer pan to oven and cook, uncovered, until chicken is totally tender and
liquid has reduced by about half, about 45 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and transfer chicken to a serving platter. Stir butter into sauté pan and
season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, spooning cabbage and sauce into
shallow bowls and topping with chicken.
Jan 12, 2016 7:30AM