Dinner 01/08/18 to 01/14/18
  Re: Dinner 01/08/18 to 01/14/18 by Harborwitch (A little late - but ...)
Flounder is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. One of my favorites and readily available here. Just wish I could get Grouper. So easy to find anywhere in Florida, but not so much up north. I asked one of dept. managers at Giant Eagle to bring some in for me, and he said they don't carry it because it's just too expensive.

Tonight we had Philly cheese steak sandwiches with a side of stir fried fresh veggies.

Welcome home, Trixxee! Wait, what?!!! You grew up on Long Island? Like the Hamptons???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thanks for the welcome home sentiments!

Born on Long Island and lived there until my 11th birthday when we moved to California.  Here is a map.  We lived in E. Setauket on the north side of the island.  Very close to the Long Island Sound.  Very nice place to live and still is for the most part.  If you zoom out on the map with your mouse wheel you'll spot E. Setauket.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/ny/suffolk-county-282934689

Tonight I'm making chicken tortilla soup.
I guess it's been a while since I studied geography. Wink And, I love to look at maps. Didn't know that Long Island was that large. What a fun place to spend your childhood, close to the beach in the summer and probably a lot of fresh seafood, too! I was born on the east coast as well. (Philly)

For some reason, the New England coastline has always been my happy place, but now that I'm not loving cold weather so much, we will be looking further south for retirement, maybe Southport by Daphne. Big Grin

For Christmas this year, the kiddos gave us tickets for "Love Never Dies" so we're going downtown tonight. There are a lot of great restaurants in the area, but our favorite is a bar next door to the theater where we can just have cocktails before the show. We usually just get appetizers or split a sandwich.
Maryann

We had a very busy morning - but got some grocery shopping in this afternoon.  

Tonight's dinner is Steak Oscar with fresh bay shrimp instead of crab, roasted Yukon gold steak fries, and broccoli.  

I was hoping for fresh crab - but the crab season has been delayed because of monster seas now.  $41.95 a lb is a bit out of our price range.  Thanks  Dodgy to the awful weather today the mushroom vendor wasn't in the harbor.  We were looking forward to more hedgehog mushrooms and some black trumpet mushrooms.  Tomorrow is supposed to be seriously windy so I doubt they'll be down their again.  Shoot!

Maryann I have to say this is the mildest winter we've had in a LONG time and the Oregon coast is famous for it's beauty.  We let a couple with 4 items go in front of us in line in Safeway today - they come here for their vacation from Palm Beach every year and always in January!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Well now that's interesting, Sharon! Please take some more pix when you get a chance. I hope to make it out west one day, but it won't be until after Ron retires. I really want a travel trailer again so we can go wherever we want to, whenever we want to.

"Love Never Dies" was absolutely wonderful! Highly recommend if anyone has the chance to see it.
Maryann

Maryann, you guys would LOVE it here!  And I see grouper all the time!  Hoping to bring our own in using our new boat this year!   Big Grin

Welcome home Trixxee!

We had several days of big late lunches, so we went with sandwiches for dinner.  We did do ribs last night and Steak Night Friday.  Today, I used my instant pot on slow cooker mode for a pot roast.  I kept hearing Jean in my head about smelling that pot roast cook all day.  So since we were home all day, I decided to go with it.  So far, I'm not smelling it.  The instant pot seals tighter than a regular slow cooker.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Daphne, I have heard some negative comments about the IP being used as a slow cooker. I guess it's just not the same and things don't always turn out as expected. Since I have 3 crockpots in different sizes, I just use one of those and have not tried the IP as a slow cooker yet. What did you think?

We had to go to the other side of town today for Abby's basketball game, then did some shopping afterwards. So, instead of cooking, we just brought home a take-out pizza and some garlic parmasan wings and I made a salad.
Maryann

An Anova gives whole new meaning to "slow cooking"!  a 36 or 48 hour chuck roast is BOMB!

Last night was spaghetti & meatballs and broccoli.  Bob's choice.
Sharon, I know everyone says that, but Ron is a bit bothered by how red the meat looks in a lot of the photos we see on FB. He likes steak to be pink all the way through, but not bright red. How would you work around it?

Also, another photo that was posted there showed a pot roast that had been simmered in the Anova for a very long time, but still looked very rare. That one really turned ME off because I am used to pot roast not being rare at all. What are your thoughts about that? I'm still not convinced in spite of all the rave reviews. Confused

Dinner tonight is my mom's "goulash" recipe from the 1960's. Making dinner for my dad tonight, so also started 18 hour no knead bread last night.
Maryann

Maryann let's try to talk tomorrow.  I know that the photos turn a lot of people off - but I can go into it better voice to voice.  All I know is that pot roast done sous vide combines all of the best features of a gorgeous steak and the meaty taste of a pot roast.  Once you try it you will never go back!  At least for beef, lamb & duck.  Chicken is always perfect!  But I do still cringe a bit at pork that is that pink.  It is safe to eat . . . because of the temp it is cooked at . . . 

Oh hell, let's talk tomorrow!  Heart