DINNER THREAD---11/13 to 11/19/2017
  Re: DINNER THREAD---11/13 to 11/19/2017 by Mare749 (What's for dinner? ...)
Glad you reminded me of the dentist, T. I usually go every six months now. Big Grin No, I do not like it.

We're having some kind of fish tonight. Whatever I find at the fish counter that looks good. Saw a recipe on the Vegeta site for a fisherman's stew. Not going to make the stew, but will season the fish according to those directions, then just pan fry. Some fresh veggies on the side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Our little local seafood market has two shrimp boats, and they are hauling in the shrimp now...BIG TIME!  Looks like our depleted population is coming back!  YAY!  I picked up 20 lbs. for $5/lb today.  (Not as great a deal as it used to be @ $3.00/lb, but a lot better than it has been!  They headed them for me.  Since we had spicy chicken for lunch today, we will just throw a few shrimp in a pot with some corn and call it dinner.   Big Grin 

I'll vacuum seal the rest tomorrow for the freezer.  Yes, the new trailer came with a shed with a small freezer!  He used the freezer for ice and bait and the shed houses all the fishing gear.  But plenty of room for lots of other stuff!

Trixxee, I had a filling replaced on Tuesday.  Not fun, but Kurt has a gentle way about him.  I'm glad to be back under his care.  And his office is just a few blocks up the street from our office.  Beats driving back to Whiteville, about an hour away.

Just HAD to come back on and say that these are the largest local shrimp consistently sized we have EVER had! They are GORGEOUS! We'll probably get more! I haven't managed to get Photobucket to work yet, but maybe I can get pictures to work on here again tomorrow.

Oh, and Tilley is turning out to be a real Sea Dog, the name of the boat....she LOVES seafood! Especially shrimp! LOL! And boat riding!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Green with envy, Daphne. Wink Fresh shrimp right off the boat is the best. Good price, too.
Maryann

Shrimp.....yum.  I've never had it fresh off a boat.

We wound up picking up marinated beef bulgogi at Costco.  Boy is that stuff good - sliced nice and thin.  Grilled that and then make some asparagus on the side.

Not sure what we'll have tonight yet.  Heading to store in a few minutes (yes, at 7:00am to beat the crowd) and they have all kinds of meat on sale, I guess because everyone's buying turkeys and hams this weekend.  Anyway, they have baby back ribs for $2.99/lb and carne asada for $3.99/lb.  I also stocked up on salmon yesterday at Costco.  Really determined to get my cholesterol down myself with no meds, the doctor thinks I can do it no problem so of course salmon is part of the regimen.
We had steak night last night, but I have no idea about tonight.  Hopefully, a quiet afternoon on my new porch watching Christmas movies will bring inspiration.   Big Grin
Daphne
Oh, Daphne, I am livid green with envy.  I miss fresh seafood right off the boat.  Many years ago (with my ex) we knew all the commercial fishermen in the little town where we lived.  We were blessed to always have fresh fish and shellfish in season unless there were storms.  At one point we were actually sick to death of Dungeness crab - we were giving them to neighbors and feeding the cat fresh crab.  Now I am looking forward to being on the coast again and having access to fresh fish!

Maryann I'm glad you're finding lots of uses for Vegeta.  I am going to have to check out their website.  I love that stuff.  

Sorry I have been absent for a few days.  This packing while working thing is just too over the top.  Then to top it off I had to dump canisters of cornmeal & polenta for bugs (????? must have come from the store - they are sealed in tightly sealed containers.)   Oh, wait . . . a little 4 legged critter chewed open a bag of Certo in the nether reaches of my cupboard . . . what he didn't eat was all over stuff.  It is a serious pain to clean up off of canned food. Geeze.  

Friday I took the leftover steaks and mushrooms and re-purposed them into spaghetti.  Wicked good.  We cleaned that up last night.  Too tired to cook anything.

We made a great discovery - Sauza Chile Cucumber Tequila!  It makes a most awesome Bloody Maria and a very good Margarita. It helped soothe the pain of packing!  

Today I am thinking perhaps Calamari steaks in a lemon egg batter, and broccoli.  Maybe.  Depends on how much I get done today.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I would love to live in a coastal town, but love the mountains too. Sharon, it looks like you are going to have the best of both worlds in your new home. From what I could see on the map, you will be nestled between the water and forest in your backyard, and all with a temperate climate. Doesn't get much better than that.

We are making a pot of corn chowder today. This is the second day of rain and gloom, so it seems fitting. Ron doesn't consider soup a meal, so he may want a sandwich to go with it.

Just got two Instant Pot cookbooks from the library and love both of them. Will post in the IP thread.
Maryann

That corn chowder sounds good Maryann.  We wound up with a frozen gluten free pizza. We had to do some shopping, wash all those canisters, continue on with packing stuff up and were just pooped.

I know Maryann.  I think it's going to be a great move.  They have crabbing all year long!  Our RV site is next to a big redwood tree!  I love the idea of trees and ocean together and Bob just loves the idea of getting the hell out of here.  I think I am too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
That sounds so wonderful Sharon.  For a second your description reminded me of a scene out of The Long, Long Trailer.  Ocean and trees.  Smile
Sharon, that sounds amazing!  

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to be back "home". Mom has been here for 24 years....longer than anywhere else she has lived, my kids consider this home, and our businesshas been here for over 30 years...so I consider this home.  And like you, Sharon, we know fishermen who will supply us with goodies.  And we hope to start catching our own!
Daphne