Shrimp Scampi
  Re: (...)
I made this last night. Combined 4 recipes to come up with one I thought my wife would like. She loved it...

Tony’s Shrimp Scampi For Barbara (my special lady)

INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined without tails. You can use pre-cooked shrimp with tails as well I did, just cook until shrimp are lightly browned
• ½- ¾ cup olive oil
• 4- 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 shallot, minced
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced or chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1/8 cup or so of fresh mint leaves coarsely chopped. I used spearmint because that’s all that was up in my garden.
• 2 tablespoons white wine. See this is where I put a cup and a half of wine in. Barbara likes a white German Spatlese wine.
• 2 tablespoons brandy –forgettabout it. I didn’t have any.
• Pasta- whatever you want: spaghetti is good simply because there isn’t much sauce. You could use rice, but a little spaghetti lifts the scampi off the plate and helps to catch some of the sauce.

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix thoroughly. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture. I just dumped the shrimp in a large bowl and poured the flour mixtured on it and mixed it well.
2. In a large skillet, sauté dredged shrimp in olive oil for 5 minutes over high heat (if using cooked shrimp, just a minute or two until browned. I simply turned shrimp one time & cooked shrimp in batches and put on a plate, leaving the oil in the pan.
3. In the same pan, sauté the garlic, shallot, mint leaves, parsley and oregano over medium heat for 3 minutes; stirring constantly. Spoon the mixture over the shrimp. Return pan to the heat. Preheat your broiler for medium heat. Blah, blah, blah… I don't time anything. I added the wine first to deglaze all the brown bits off the pan. Then I added the rest of the stuff. Broiler? I didn’t use a broiler.
4. Pour the wine and brandy into the skillet and ignite with a match or lighter. When the flames die down, stir to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet; pour over shrimp. Skip this step.
5. Place the serving dish of shrimp in a preheated broiler for about 2 minutes. Skip this step too.
6. I had boiled a pot of water and cooked some spaghetti until al dente. Then I drained the spaghetti and simply used prongs to add to bowls. Then I used a spatula to scoop 10-12 shrimp with the little bits onto each plate.
7. Barbara said it was exquisite. I squeezed some fresh lemon juice on mine which to me made this something to die for. The Barbara unit doesn’t care for lemon. Supposedly Italians don't use grated cheese on seafood. I usually ignor this, but last night, a fresh squeezed little lemon juice brought it alive. I woke up late this morning. My wife is gone and so are the leftovers.....
  Re: Shrimp Scampi by Backhertz (I made this last nig...)
What an incredibly thoughtful recipe--thank you for sharing with us!!! I certainly hope your special lady enjoyed--sounds as though you had a great time. Interesting the mint addition--never would have thought of that--something to store in my 'ummmm' folder!!

LOVE shrimp scampi!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Shrimp Scampi by Roxanne 21 (What an incredibly t...)
Yes, the mint was a surprise ingredient! How did that come about? I never would have thought to do that, but then I don't cook with mint as often as I could/should. lol...I think it's the only thing in my garden that grows like mad (well, besides the weeds )...I should put it in everything! I solemnly swear that this summer, I will use as much mint in my cooking as my family will let me. Maybe my darling husband will grow to love it too....

Oh, yeah, and thank you for sharing with us!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Shrimp Scampi by TwilightKitten (Yes, the mint was a ...)
We must thanka Mario! Mario Batali in his Molto Italiano cook book he has a scampi with garlic, chiles, and fennel recipe. Well, I didn't have any chiles or fennel, so I combined part of his recipe with the mint with a few others. The one which I got from the Internet had only 2 Tablespoons of wine. What? Forgettabout it. The Raos Cookbook used a cup anda half. Garlic? I always double the amount thanks to Mr. BAM! Anyhow, I simply used what I had in the house. I was surprised to find a shallot in with the onions, so that went in too. As for fresh shrimp- that probably would have turned this dish from great to - use your imagination. It didn't make much of a sauce though. My wife and I got to also enjoy some of the wine. But never-the-less it was something maybe worth publishing, except credit must be given to all the sources. Oh, be careful though, mint needs to be potted or confined as it will grow everywhere just like horse radish, bamboo, etc.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Scampi by Backhertz (We must thanka Mario...)
lol...I know about that crazy mint! I got mine from my mother who told me to take as much as I wanted since it was so out of control in her yard. I didn't contain it though. It can spread as much as it likes for now... I'm relocating the garden this year, as my dogs overran what used to be my garden, and let's just say I don't want to eat anything that grows there anymore. I salvaged some mint plants and put them in pots this time.

Oh, and I didn't know horseradish grew liket that too. Good to know!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Shrimp Scampi by TwilightKitten (lol...I know about t...)
I planted some herbs in my bamboo garden a few years ago--including mint that I did not enclose in its own pot---WELL--you can imagine!!! MINT, MINT, and MORE MINT!!! The root system is amazing---my other goodies continue to thrive though sooo I just keep pulling the MINT!!! Anybody want some???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Shrimp Scampi by Backhertz (I made this last nig...)
Thought you might enjoy knowing that this is on the menu for James and I tonite. Thanks Tony!
Cis
Empress for Life